Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Psychology...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Apr 3, 2003.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm rolling out new laptops at one of my sales offices... One of the sales reps I hadn't changed over yet yelled across the sales floor,
    "Ratch, is my computer new?"
    Thinking she was asking if she's getting a new computer, I said, "Yeah"
    So she yells back, "Awesome, it's so much faster!!"
    And I say, "What, no, I didn't change your computer yet, you're getting a new one. But I guess now you don't need one..."

It was pretty funny, everyone in sales was all of a sudden like "oh man, this thing is so slow, can I get a new one?"

2. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

You shouldn't have replied to her. You should have told the CIO about it. You could just tell people they have new machines, without actually replacing them, and they'd think they had something faster. Your company would save Tons O' Bucks (tm)! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at your work. You always have a story to tell about one mindless wonder or another. I guess you just have to try and find the humor in people like them or else you'll end up jumping off the Empire State Building! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Those are the same folks that you tell to use a Black background on their desktop to make it go faster because it doesn't use as much memory.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, I do work in the colorful advertising industry...

Hey Goober, you mean that's not true?

7. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey Goober, you mean that's not true?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny how many people will believe that sort of stuff......

........ especially since it's obvious that Red is the fastest color!!

That's why lasers are red, right?

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. speedup

speedup Registered Member

Coming from a reformed computer geek (so many wasted years... sigh), changing your background to black--or any solid color, so long as it is set via the "default desktop color" setting--can, in some cases take less memory. If an image is used, the OS has to store it in conventional memory and repaint it whenever the desktop is showing (sometimes it can be stored in video memory, long story), whereas a solid color takes only the amount a memory used to store the numerical value of the color. So there! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Yes, I'm a geek... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That is funny, I've never brought it to the color level, I've just always nuked desktop wallpaper on slower machines because of exactly what speedup said. Saying the individual color affects speed is rich, I gotta start doing that...

10. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Back in the days of 386's with 2 Megs of RAM and 512kb video cards, yes, mapping solid colors would allow greater flexability and better performance in the video subsystem.

Today, a "slow" computer is running at clock speeds that are more than 25x the speed of the older machines, run on a much faster bus, have more than 100x the RAM, and have video cards with more memory than hard drives had 10 years ago. Combine with better/faster video compression algorithms and faster/wider data busses means that the high end machines today are capable of displaying multiple active video clips simultaneously on a highly complex bitmapped background on your desktop without suffering much of a noticable performance problem.

.....Except if you make it Red ...... then it will go REALLY fast!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. speedup

speedup Registered Member

Sorry if *some* of us remember having a 100MHz box with 16MB of RAM. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    especially since it's obvious that Red is the fastest color!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldnt yellow be the fastest color...I mean it adds HP to ricers so why not your computer