Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PTO INFO

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by RUSS84K5, Mar 9, 2001.

1. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

Anyone,
    do the 203 and 205 use the same pto unit?
    Dose the drive line have to be in nuatral to operate the PTO?
    thanks for any info
    Russ V.

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I think any NP case will use the same PTO. You do not have to have the driveline in neutral, but you also dont want to drive down the road with it engaged or your fluid will get so hot it will tear up seals and melt your tank if it happens to be plastic.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

3. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

The NP203 & NP205 take a different PTO unit, I tried to put the NP203 PTO that I have on a NP205 and it would not work.I cant remember exactly why it wouldnt that was a couple years ago but it didnt work!
    The transfer needs to be in neutral and you use the transmission for your in and out(fwd&reverse) at least on the set-up I got anyways.
    RGF

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by RGF on 03/09/01 06:54 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'm not totally familiar with the ins and outs of PTO's, but what I've heard backs up what that other guys said, 203 and 205 are different PTO's. The gears are different in the case, where they engage.
    You can winch with a PTO with the t-case in neutral, or in gear, but as soon as you give it drive power, both shafts are going to move, if the t-case is in gear. It sounds like you need some practice and skill to run a PTO winch for recovery. And it needs to be set up right, as for gearing, etc to match line and vehicle speeds. And it's wise to have 2 people to operate it since you can't stop anything when you're in front of the vehicle. I know you could rip it out of gear, but they hang pretty tight with a load on the gears.
    For general recovery use, it's hard to beat the elec. winches.
    Mine's engine driven hyd. Not off the power steering, but with a separate pump. It's pretty complex to set up properly though.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD