Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PTO On A AutoMatic? Will it Work?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Looksback, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Is there any way to put a PTO on a automatic transmission, I have a '74 1 ton 2WD, and I need to try to connect a PTO for a water pump, But I have not idea if thay can be connected to a automatic. The transmission is a TH350 2WD.

Thanks For The Help
    LooksBack

2. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

someone else that has a little more experience will probably chime in here after me. but off the transmission itself probably not. Most pto kits run off of a gear drive, hence the adaption to the 465 tranny and the 205 tcase. I think there is an inline setup that you can get that goes behind the tranny and is like a gearbox that disengages the drivetrain so you can run it but don't take my work on it. Good luck, hopefully you will find something that isn't too expensive

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

We have a 2wd automatic pickup at work that runs a water pump off of the driveshaft. I can't remember right off hand if it is chain or belt driven, but basically there is a sprocket on the driveshaft and a chain that runs to another gear box. The driveshaft is a two piece design and the sprocket is obviously on the part that runs from the tranny to the carrier bearing, thus meaning that there is very little movement.

4. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

hmm, would any body here know where to gett on of these kits for a PTO? know I need one but like a lot of people I dont have a lot of money, thats why I have not gone to a farm supply yet.

Thanks For THe Help
    LooksBack

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Do You want to use the pto, when the vehicle is in motion? Cause that's the only way it's gonna work. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

no, it would have to be parked, becuase it will be for pumping water out of a well that is about 75~100 feet deep, and I need to gett as much of it to the serface as soon as possiable, I am starting to think of a electric water pump that can be powered off the 12 volt battery, but I have been looking at those today and thay are vary expensive.

Thanks For The Help
    LooksBack

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Too bad it is'nt a 4x4. That way You could run one off of the T-Case, it's a no-brainer from there. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Too bad it is'nt a 4x4. That way You could run one off of the T-Case, it's a no-brainer from there. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that brings up an interesting thought. If he has a standard turbo 400 tranny with a 4.5" tailshaft, he could get a 205 and adapter to bolt it onto the tranny. Then get the rear driveshaft shortened, or even possibly a d-shaft from a donor truck for the rear. One could then use the t-case for said pump.

Just a thought,

John

On edit: I just read that he has a t-350 tranny. This could still work, just with a different tranny. I dunno, just throwing ideas around

9. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

another thing, if that would work, would it fit because of the floor pan being lower on a 2WD cab? at this point I am up for a bout any idea, need to gett water fast, its getting hard and expensive trying to gett water from town, or lakes.

Thanks for the help
    LooksBack

10. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I dont think there's a difference, but I could be wrong. I think the floor is the same for 2wd and 4wd trucks. Keep us posted.

John

11. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

The floor pan in a 4WD is higher than a 2WD, that why there is room for the transfer case. Also today was the first time in a week there was no mud on the ground, so I gott under the truck to seen if there was a PTO cover on the TH350, and just as I though it would be there was none. After the output shaft there is a short driveshaft that oes into a coupler that is mounted on to the frame, and I was looking at the gear box that mounts over the PTO cover, and I was thinking what if a transfer case could be mounted in a high up postion between the frame rails thaty a normal drive shaft go the the rear diff?
    Sounds like a lot of work, and it probly is, so it might no be worth the effort?

LooksBack