Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PTO u-joints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tx_sub, Dec 3, 2004.

1. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

i'm building a mini baja car for my senior design project. i am in charge of the rear suspension. its gonna be a independent setup like on the jauars. anyway i am looking for some u-joints including the yokes with about a one inch hole. only one's i've found are at chassisshop.com. anyone know manufacurers of pto u joints? i'm thinking especially from those big mowers attached to tractors. they can handle a good bit of power and speed. i'm also looking to get the biggest operating range. 34 degrees is the best i've seen. i don't know if they get any better though as efficiency decreases as angle increases. sorry for rambling on

summary: manufacurers of pto u-joints.

thanks fellas

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i had a PTO winch on my old rig, i used all Prescision U-Joints, the autovalue in town had a farm and implement book listing all the different sizes and HP ratings.

im not saying prescion is the greatest brand out there, but that is what i used without any problems.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Precision is trash, but once you get a part number for one, it can be easily crossed to another.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

They sell the shafts,U-joints,and yokes at farm supply stores--Tractor Supply should have them--your local Napa store can get them too,but they might be a special order--and will be much more costly there than the farm store. If I were looking for a PTO shaft and U-joints for a low buck non-critical application,I'd go straight to the local boneyard--they have several old oil delivery trucks,and DPW trucks,dump trucks,etc,that have a PTO shaft setup to run the hydraulic pump--its a lot cheaper than new.. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

U-Joint Efficiency

now i am looking for charts or graphs of u-joint efficiency as the operating range changes. i've searched the net but found nothing. borgeson had the most info, but not what i need. thanks for the help.

6. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

Re: U-Joint Efficiency

i found that taking the cosine of the angle will give a close estimate. it may drop off after a certain point though.

but ttt if anyone can help

7. velocitiii

velocitiii Registered Member

I was on the formula team at WVU a few years back. Call/contact Spicer they helped us with that kind of info. Rpm, angle, strength,... They make every imaginable size joint out there.

8. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

cool, thanks for the info. i'll check it out. how did y'all do in competition?

9. velocitiii

velocitiii Registered Member

We got 11th overall. Would have been 9th but the idiot with the cost report didnt get it in in time and we lost 2 places. Lots of fun though.

You might also check into CV joints. You don't loose as much power in them at high angles. The new 4 wheelers have really nice little cv joints. Stop by a bike shop and check them out. Surley the fixed joint (the one that doesn't slide in and out) would hold up to the little bit of use you guys will see on that rig. Just use the fixed on each end of the half shaft and you should be set. This setup might also be lighter than u joints.