Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pto winch??????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudhog, Apr 12, 2003.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

ok here is the question my buddie is building up his blazer and is putting in a 454 t400 np205. ok how does he hook up his new pto winch? with a sm465 its easy but he has a t400 np205

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Get a pto for the np205, then you can put the t case in neutral and use the transmission to contol the line speed and direction.

3. mudhog

very cool thank /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif you who makes them and where can he get one?

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

This doesn't really have to do with your question but I thought it was neat; I was readin 4WOR and this guy in readers rides has a 100,000lb pull rating on his pto driven winch! I was like yeah in case you ever have to hoist your truck straight up into a helicopter! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Any heavy truck parts house. Muncie and new venture gear make them.

6. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

also check ebay they seem to always have a couple for cheap.I saw one a while ago for 100 clams for the 205 case

7. hoosierk3500

hoosierk3500 Registered Member

I hate to tell a mod. to do a search,but there was a thread a month or 2 ago about this.Had a link in it to a place in Iowa,that seemed to have everything you would need.Hope this helps.Jason84k3500 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif85k2500 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. mudhog

very cool thanks everyone /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

I need a little more help with this same question!!!

1) So the tranny controls direction and line speed... So how the H do you stop it where you want it??? Put it in park??? Seems a little uncontrollable to me. Must be a better way. I must be missing something here. Can someone go into more detail for me here?

2) I want to be able to mount the winch on the front or rear for trails, as well as pulling cars onto the trailer with. How much of a pain is it to run the PTO shafts out the front and back?

3) I searched and read what I could find on PTO winches here, and all seemed to reference the 205 case. I'm not sure what my case is yet, but I know it has a provision for the PTO. Is the 205 case the only one tough enough to use/abuse with the PTO winch, or does it matter? I want at LEAST a 10,000lb rating on it. That sounds like enough, but I've seen 12,000lb winches bite the dust in ugly situations.

4) I mentioned controlling the PTO winch above... Any general advice on this??? The only experience I can relate to is running a dump truck bed that's powered off a transmission PTO that ran the hydraulics for the dump bed. Even that had a 'stop' on it so you could lock the bed half-up... There must be a way to lock the winch in place so you're not always 'on' or 'off' with the gas? Educate me! I ain't scared!

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Cheers,
    Scott

10. rigdonhome

One more thing...

The last time I heard of a PTO winch being used was at a trail ride I wasn't on... I was with a different group. A guy with a really old Jeep of some kind used his PTO winch to pull a newer full-size ford out of a bad muck. Ended up bending the frame all the way down the whole truck, like it had been in a bad wreck. It was then that I knew I myself would someday need a PTO winch.

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cheers,
    Scott

11. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

We had 3 pto winches in our group. No electics, no offense but in the deep mud they just don't cut it. All of our winches were rear mounted.

1) if you absolutely don't want it to move then put it in park. Most of the time if there is a load on the cable letting the engine idle will just keep the cable tight. IMO, it's very controllable. I ran a 4sp the others ran autos.

2) Front is a little more tricky than rear. I've never seen someone use dual PTOs either. It can be done. Front winch runs off the SM465, rear winch runs off the t-case. I'm not sure if they offer a PTO box that has dual outputs, if they due it has to be expensive. I'm pretty sure the offer 2 speed reversable boxes as well, mine was just a single speed/direction and ran $250-300 new IIRC.

3) '205/'203 will both handle a pto winch. The gears are different between the two. You could say ones a right hand cut while the other is a lefty. Trans or case must have a pto provision to work. Lots of PTO winches were designed for overhead lifting, so they have a much higher safety rating than standard "pull" style winches. My "little" Tulsa winch said it was rated for 8,000lbs. It made a 12,000lb warn look like a toy. I was more afraid of breaking the 3/8" cable than the winch. My buddies(40K) had 5/8" cable, over 250' of it.

4) I also have a setup to run the winches hydrallicly. If you went this route you could use one pto box to control both winches. This way you can also do the calculations as to how much PSI the system should run so the winch will stall before the cable breaks. Hydrallics are more expensive and more prone to failure(hoses,leaks,fluid contamination) and mine was much slower.

BTW, my winch had an interal band brake so the winch didn't want to unspool when you let off the clutch.

12. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I have the 8000 pound Ramsey on mine. sm465/205. Front mounted. I was stuck last week and the only thing around to winch from was a boulder to the side of me. Broke the 3/8" cable trying to pull my truck sideways.

Mine has an engagement cable in the cab. Pull up to engage. I can put the xfer case in nuetral and use the clutch or just use the engagement cable to activate it. I can also run the winch while in first gear with the xfer case engaged also thus pulling with the winch and the tires at the same time. Cool eh? I think I could climb a tree with this thing if the cable held up... The drive shaft in mine runs off the front of the xfer case.

13. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    . Front mounted.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Were you able to run a 1 piece shaft or did you have to offset it with a pillow block bearing?

[ QUOTE ]
    Mine has an engagement cable in the cab. Pull up to engage.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Mine was cable operated as well. I had the cable in the dash, left of the column. Where the a/c vent would be on an a/c equiped truck. I also had a light that would come on when the pto box was engaged. My one buddie just had a lever thru the floor to engage his and no indicator light. It engaged while driving down a trail, cable hooked bumper and folded the frame up at a 90* angle /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. It was a flat bed with no box, his first thought as he looked out the back window was "who hit me?!"

14. rigdonhome

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

That's about the kind of Winch Power I am after.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Were you able to run a 1 piece shaft or did you have to offset it with a pillow block bearing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine actually has 3 shafts with 2 pillow blocks. The front crossmember was partially cut out for the last shaft to go through. So far I haven't been able to break anything but the cable and when I did that the cable was routed more than 90 degrees to the side for recovery. Won't do that anymore...