Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PTO ??????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Z3PR, May 11, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

PTO ??? What does one cost, and what do you use it for ????

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

PTO by itself is not an "item" per say. It stands for Power Take Off. A transmission or Transfer case will have a PTO, depending on model. I know the NV4500, tranny has a PTO, and NP205 transfer case has a PTO, as well as hundrends of other models, but I don't know which one's do and which ones don't. I believe some operate with just the existing transfer case lever (ie, place in neutral and the PTO is engaged..or something like that), and some have an additional lever.
    You can bolt any varity of accessories to a PTO. The most commonly seen one is a Winch. A typical setup runs a small accessory drive shaft from the PTO to the front of the truck which drives the winch spool. They work great, but are VERY big (all the chevy ones I've seen have the front bumper mounted ~2 feet forward to clear the winch) & heavy, not to mention rare, and if you find one, your going to pay. Other accessories I have seen have been snow plow winches; for tow trucks, the drive shaft goes strigh up through the utility body to drive the boom winch; and I've never seen a physical one, but saw it in a catalog once, a brush hog for your truck. (Just what I want to do, mow a field with my K5).

BlazerMan

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My Blazer is a 1976. I would be intrested in a PTO driven winch. But what would one cost, and where would I get one ?????? Does anyone make it ?????

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

The only one I saw for sale, the guy wanted $800 for it. While that may sound like a decent price in comparison to an electric or hydralic winch, this one needed a few parts just to be operational, and really needed a complete overhaul as it was used by a utility company for many years. The problem is there are no parts available for the OEM ones anymore.
    If your to look for one, it's a daunting task. Junkyards don't come by them very often. The one I saw was at a specalty used 4x4 parts yard. I have seen two for sale on ebay though, one was on a truck, and the truck and winch were going for $1400. The truck wasn't quite usable (it was advertised as "can drive in parking lot"), but he said the winch worked well. Finding one on a truck would be the way to go, as you would have all the parts needed to make it operational. (Front mounts, correct driveshaft, correct PTO converter, correct brackets....etc).
    It's probably not one of those things that you can go look for, it's rather one of those things you keep an eye out for and you come across one every couple of years....

BlazerMan

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

You could drive a hydralic pump off the pto to drive a hyd. winch.

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

You can get a PTO winch from Ramsey, Milemarker, and most of the other big name winch manufacturers. Some are small enough to fit on the front or rear of a pickup just fine.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Any idea what one would cost ????? How are they vers a standard winch ????

8. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

As long as the engine runs they'll out pull any electric winch. How long will an electric pull under heavy load without the engine running?

I ran my pto off the t-case and mounted it on the rear frame rails. It was a fairly fast winch, but still slower than an electric under no load. Under load it only slowed down when you wanted it to. For mud use it's the only way to go.

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

There is one for sale on the "for sale" board, unless its already gone.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've PMed the seller, still waiting for a reply. A PTO winch sounds pretty cool.

11. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure on cost. Depending on the model, they can be stronger than electric. The biggest plus to PTO winches is that they can run continuously. They also have fast line speed thanks to multiple gearing. The downside is that if you have no engine, you have no winch.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Witch type would cost less ???

13. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

It's really hard to say. I said that I was not sure on the price. Overall, ease of installation and availability...the electric wins.

14. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Which will cost less, hmmm.
    Electic initially will cost less, then comes dual deep cylce batteries, custom HO alternator, maybe even dual alternators.

PTO requires a little more setup work to install, drive shaft, pto box, pillow blocks and even hydrallics if you want them. You can use way more cable on a pto drum than electric or the mile marker hydrallic. I have about 220' of 3/8"cable and a buddy had more and his was 1/2" or 5/8 cable. My pto was originally hydrallicly driven.