Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Public school question for the other parents

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Apr 1, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Public school question for the other parents-Updated w/ good news

My daughter is in public school right now for first grade. She was homeschooled for kindergarten, but we wanted her to go to school for a couple years also for the structure, etc.

Her first grade teacher has been a chops-breaker since the beginning. It actually seems like after we had a conference with her and mentioned that she was homeschooled that the teacher became a real hard-arse.
    My daughter has come home upset, scared, etc several times, but we kind of thought it to be just the way kids are in first grade in a new authority environment. Actually my wife has felt like Emmy has been targeted and singled out, but I've kind less like that.

Well this morning, my wife ran into one of Emmy's classmates mother. This parent told my wife that her son is scared to do anything wrong "because he doesn't wnat the teacher to yell at him". She probed a little and found out that there are two kids in the class that get yelled at a lot, and it makes the other kids literally scared.
    Yeah, you guessed it, the two kids are my daughter and another little girl.

I've spoken to this teacher before, once when Emmy came home upset that the teacher had called her a baby and said that her parents were babies. The teacher told me when I called her on it, that she must have said something like the class was acting like babies. I bought it then, but now I'm not so sure.

I would like to get Emmy transferred away from this teacher. She has been nothing but problems, and my kid is terrified of her. She gets off the bus and her major achievement is "I didn't do anything wrong today". WTF is that for a 6 year old?? She needs self esteem buildup, but we now find out she gets picked on and singled out by the teacher.

I know my daughter doesn't focus sometimes, and the teacher has discussed this with us, and maybe that's worse in school. I went through the same thing in my school years, and I still do, crappy attention abilities. A co worker suggested maybe she's advanced and this class bores her (which Emmy has said before), but I think the problem may lie with the teacher to a degree.

Another thing that irked me was that around the christmas season, Emmy kept coming home with Jewish library books and stories. I was like "WTF? I'm not sending her in with 'jesus loves you' stickers or 'Evolution is fraud' stuff, why is she coming home with this crap, and in this season?"

I also partly theorized that it may be because Angela and I are among the younger parents (thus the baby comment being believable), and Emmy loves George W. Bush (political retaliation, more of a joke, not that I seriously consider that, but it's possible I'm sure).

I have two friends that either were teachers or are certified/qualified to be and have pursued other careers. They both agree that this is odd behavior from the teacher, and that it's completely feasible that it's a resentment toward Emmy for being homeschooled. My one friend has actually argued with me against homeschooling in the past :rotfl:. They feel we need to take action asap, and if it appears legit, get her moved to another class.

This distrust of the teacher is accelerated by the current events of people in positions of power over children being caught either abusing that power or having a conflict of interest with the childrens well-being.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

send her to school with a tape recorder and have her tape the class. :D

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Talk to the principal or something. maybe there is a history of complaints and they are just waiting on one more to ****can the woman. I know I'm no where near a father but I know I'd be in that teachers face calling them on that crap. Elementary school was nothing but good for me and I think it really gave me a good basis for high school. I wasted high school but that was my choice. You don't want your kid hating school out of First grade. First graders are suppossed to still love school.

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Kiddo is not that far in school - just daycare but I need to say something.

Check the official escalation process in the school - they may have you jump through that BS before you can do anything official. Document all the issues with the school etc.....

Start working to get her out of that environment now!!

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

go talk to the school and demand that she be put in another class

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Go to the principle first, and explain your concerns. Let that person know that your next stop is the school board, and after that, the media. There have been numerous occasions (with 7 kids) that I have gone one on with a teacher or principle and told them point blank that their actions were not acceptable. Your tax dollars are paying their salary, so if you are unhappy with the service SPEAK UP !!!!!!!!

7. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

I am a parent of two kids and i home schooled in georgia for several years until my kids went back to public school because of schedule problems with my work. Alot of schools do not like the idea of home school and teachers go either way. If you go to the school and show that it is a concern and that you will make yourself a pain they will treat you better. A friends wife went as far as running for the school board just long enough to get someone out that had no business being there. If you are to polite they will do nothing. Ask for anther teacher and let them know why in writing and keep a copy for yourself. If nothing is done by the next school board meeting you must make time to atend and ask why in front of everyone and if they were any other prior complants. Just like anywhere else when the principle starts feeling the heat from up above they will start to do something. You have already talked to the teacher so follow up the chain of command. Try and meet a few other parents and kids so that you have a story to tell the board of education if you have to go that far. I went as far as calling the state board of education about my kids principles at the kids school on the way they talked about my wife and kids. All you are asking to do is for you andyour child to be treated courteously. They can do it the easy way or not. A tape of just a few minutes could be a fast and easy way to get your point and a teacher fire real quick. It will also help if the person that calls if you have a friend that has a nice city/government job(police/firefighter/politician).

8. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Take the day off and go to class with her. Eee how the kids act in front of the teacher find out who the other kid is that gets yelled at and compare notes with the parents and then get your child out of the class and find a better teacher. Tomorrow is not soon enough, and let everyone know why you are moving her.

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

-Tape recorder: I've thought about it, but I don't think I can get her to hit record, and I think I'd run out of tape before anything worth taping occurs...

-Principal: So far, my teacher friends agree with my wife that we need to confront the teacher first with our true concerns (un-sugarcoated), then escalate to the principal. I had wanted to go strait to the principal and the school board.

-Moving her to another class: This is troubling. She has a major state test coming up next month, and I'm afraid uprooting her would have a much more negative impact on her last 3 months of school. Not to adjust to the teacher, but a whole new class.

SWeet!!! My wife just IM'd me, she's been on the phone with the teacher for over an hour, and the teacher APOLOGIZED "FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART"!!!!!
    She is a little hard on her at times.
    She loves Emily very much.
    She can understand Emily's feelings now that it's brought to her attention and will start praising her more and working on her esteem.

This is great! I gotta get the full detail from my wife when she hangs up, but these are cool little tidbits to get...

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

we're gonna home school,RATCH. i know i know. i can't spell.LOL but the wifey holds a 3.9 GPA today in school. anyway the world is crazy and i'm paranoid(or so i've been told). so we'll try it.as far as he teacher, i had one in first grade that was a major pain. MS.NOLAN was her name and she would make us put our hands on the desk if we screwed up and smack them with a ruler. no bruises. but she did come see me when i was really sick. i think your daughters teacher is mean. i'll call you tonight bro. :D

11. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Very admirable, the time and thought you've put into teacher exposure. I assume you just think it's what you do, but some don't

Teachers are basically a childs parent for twenty five percent of the year, if you have innefective teachers, it can really harm children and families.

I would have suggested tryiong to teach your kid to say something to the effect of 'Well, I do not appreciate your demeanor very much in this situation, ma'am" Nothing is more sense shocking and imsurmountable to negative people that cool politeness.

12. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

13. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Talk to the priciple. Religion is supost to be not in public school. That in it self is a reson you can use to transfer your child. Also sit in on a class day, let your child know that she can't come and see you when this happens, but it will show the teacher your concerned. Also alows you to see if anything is odd.

14. Kim Can

Kim Can 1/2 ton status

Hi Ratch,
    First of all, most 6 year olds don't have a huge attention span. I know we mentioned that to Katrina's grade one teacher, and she said she was just fine for that age.

Second, I find that by sitting in on the class at least once a month, the teacher realizes that you are involved and 'watching'. I also email the teacher with questions on a regular basis. It seems that if the teacher sees that you are involved and very interested in your child's education they treat your child better. It's very sad, but true. Obviously you two are involved since you did homeschooling - but having a presence helps.

Paul and I went to a parent teacher interview this year and the teacher told us about a problem she thought Katrina had with a little boy in class. With us there, Katrina told the teacher what was actually happening (the boy is actually a little brat!), and the teacher was totally enlightened! She had no idea what was actually going on since it was mostly happening at lunch. Make an appointment with the teacher to ask her some questions. I agree that it is hard to move them to a new class, but if that ultimately has to happen, go for it. I feel like my girls esteem is as fragile as glass and want to protect it as much as I can. I don't want it shattered when they are in elementary school - that will only lead to trouble....

Anyhow those are my thoughts! Good luck!

15. Resurrection_Joe

Tallgirl 001...

*hold on I have spinach in my teeth*

... doesn't need to take that crap! We need to get our uniforms together here.

Teachers have high respect for new renneisance angels and super high kick!ing warriors

16. Kim Can

Kim Can 1/2 ton status

I concur... look out or I'll have to pull out my hooker boots and do some high kick!ing!!!

17. Resurrection_Joe

Ahhhh man, I was going to use the traditonal white wrap kickboxing leg coverings!

You are without a doubt the most pain in the ass character development project I have ever worked on

At least I get feedback though

18. Kim Can

Kim Can 1/2 ton status

Sorry.... Do you need a picture of the boots?

19. Resurrection_Joe

Yeah, sorry train jockey, serious post got derailed

Derailed! Get it!

20. Kim Can

Kim Can 1/2 ton status

Okay

Sorry about the hijack to your post Ratch. I will make RJ start a new thread.... right RJ?