Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Puddle of oil?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

So I havent driven my k5 for a while- namely all of about 3 weeks. I go look at it today, and I find a puddle of... oil??? This is really odd- its comming from between the t-case and the tranny. At first, I was gonna think rear main seal-

I havent had the guts yet to go check out what color the fluid is- maybe the seal between the tranny and the t-case is toast?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

208's are notorious for leaking from the slipyoke. Mine does. It could also be the pan gasket on the tranny or who knows. You got to check it out. If it is in the tranny/tcase area I will bet the fluid is red. Both the 700R4 and 208 use ATF.

Harley

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

its never leaked before- And I know its not from the slip yolk, its from the front of the t-case, where the tranny and tcase meets. This seems like a less than fun repair- THough I think I still have warranty. lol...

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

STrangely enough.. it looks like.. motor oil- it shows no sign of being red at all. Will have to double check everything...

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

If its motor oil you should check and make sure its not coming from a bad oil sending unit or the valve covers leaking onto the bellhousing before you even think about pulling the pan to do a rear main seal. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif