Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Puff puff....what gives? Time to cool it down.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kick5a55, May 23, 2006.

1. kick5a55

kick5a55 Registered Member

Nov 28, 2005
    I have to say, I love working on my truck. I sat for a couple of hours on Saturday looking things over. So here are my three questions for the week.

1. Puff Puff give. After sitting for let's say about an hour or more, when I start her up she blows smoke for about 5 seconds. It's not real thick and it doesn't last long, but it's there. Any ideas on what might cause this and how I might fix it?

2. A/C. I see the hoses attached and the bottle and all of that but when I turn on the A/C nadda. No drain on the engine, no cold air nothin. Any ideas on how to test out the A/C?

3. Leak, ohhh my baby is droolen some oil. I'd say about a quart a week. What's the best way to see where this is coming from? I took a look at the oil pan and it looks like a bolts head got busted off at some point in time, which by the way how the hell do I get the bolt out now? Anyway, I got up in her and I can't tell if the leak is coming from the Oil Pan Gasket (which I hope is the case) or coming from the front main (which I don't hope is the case). How do I make it easier to find out where that baby is leaking from?

4. Denver Salvage yards....do any of you know of some good salvage yards? I could use some creature comforts and fix some old parts but would rather go look at some of the left behind blazers and either upgrade or modify some things on my new toy.

5. I ran over a curb.....it was actually on purpose.....but after coming back out of work I had found my battery was on its side leaking everywhere. Any good ideas on how to make sure that thing doesn't fly around the engine compartment like a cat in heat?

6. Colorado wheelers. Any Deverites around that would like to bring in a new friend to some 4wheelin action and work? I'm a computer geek and I'm learning slowly, but my other friends with the TOYOTA TRD's just don't have a passion or a need like I have found. Kinda sucks talking to them about how my truck is lifted and they look at me like I'm crazy for not dropping $20,000 on a new truck.....I just tell them to wait a year or so. :D Anyway, I don't know much about how my trucks built, I'm learning slowly but I see things that look like they aren't quite right. Would love to go from bumper to bumper with someone who knows their stuff to tell me the good the bad and the ugly. I'll bring the beer you bring the knowledge.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for your help and advice...talk to you soon:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:
  2. screamer

screamer Registered Member

May 22, 2006
    You're engine is smoking at start up, most likely do to worn valve stem seals. No big problem. Chevy v-8's are known for that. Easy fix if you have an air compressor. For your A/C, use a "light" tester and see if the compressor is getting any power when you have the A/C on. Could be a fuse or relay. For the leak, clean up your oil pan and keep and eye on it. Should give you an idea where its coming from. You can buy dye to add to the oil but, cleanning it up has worked for me. As for your battery, I used a couple lengths of 12 gauge wire and tied the battery to the battery tray by twisting the wire ends together until it they were tight against the battery. Or you can buy a battery hold down at a parts store.
  3. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Feb 6, 2006
    Bungee cords for your battery will work too. You can buy a big pack of them with assorted lengths and stuff for about$10. Worked for me. No more driving home for 30 miles after driving over stuff before realizing the battery was up against my hedders the whole time:mad: .