Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Puff the magic dragon?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scoutillac, Apr 19, 2004.

1. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Ok. I went wheelin this weekend. After I got a stuck in this huge mud/water hole my truck ran like [darn]. Later on I noticed it let out a puff of a blueish smoke. Then I noticed a ticking sound. So I checked the oil. I was 2 qts low. It was full when I left on the trip. So today I pulled the air cleaner out. It was filthy and pretty much collapsed. So now I have all fresh new fluids and filters. It still puffs and dogs quite a bit. What are the best and worst case scenarios for the problem. I really don't want to sink a bunch more money into it. I am trying to get my damn scout done. By the way, the motor is an 88 TBI 350.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Still making noise? Romp on it REALLY hard out there(of course you did I just have to confirm). Puff of smoke on startup is just a chevy (or really any older vehicle heck some new) thing. Worn valve seals will let some oil drip down in the engine and it burns up on start up. Have an oil pressure guage? If so what are you running at?

3. scoutillac

I wasn't rompin too hard. But she was a trottlin a bit.

[​IMG]

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok. I went wheelin this weekend. After I got a stuck in this huge mud/water hole my truck ran like [darn]. Later on I noticed it let out a puff of a blueish smoke. Then I noticed a ticking sound. So I checked the oil. I was 2 qts low. It was full when I left on the trip. So today I pulled the air cleaner out. It was filthy and pretty much collapsed. So now I have all fresh new fluids and filters. It still puffs and dogs quite a bit. What are the best and worst case scenarios for the problem. I really don't want to sink a bunch more money into it. I am trying to get my damn scout done. By the way, the motor is an 88 TBI 350.

[/ QUOTE ]
    My Blazer did that and it ended up being a burnt up piston and trashed heads. Same exact symptoms....ticking sound like timing off and blue smoke from the valve seals being shot. I had the heads rebuilt for $300. Replaced the piston for $60. With gasket kit and misc. crap under $500 total. Hope you can fix it cheaper than I did /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Bobby Deniro: "Puff is just the name of the boys magical dragon. Are you a pothead Focker?"

6. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Uh oh. I hope it's nothing major. Was it running that poorly when we took off on the backroads too?

7. scoutillac

That is where I noticed the smoke. I replaced the air cleaner today. Whe I opened the cover to reveal the air cleaner I noticed it was crushed. I couldn't believe the shape it was in. On the way to the trail I noticed it wasn't running up to par. I thought it was H2O in the distributor, but it was dry. I am confuzzed. I am thinking about selling it. Then I will be wheelin truck-less until I finally get the scout done. Then I won't have anything to tow the scout. Catch 22! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. scoutillac

Oh yeah, the oil pressure guage seems to have gone out too. It doesn't drop off of above 60psi.