Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pukin' Fuel-Fuel pump???**Updated**

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SkulzNBonz, Feb 11, 2003.

1. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Pukin\' Fuel-Fuel pump???**Updated**

Here's a new one. This just started happening recently. I shut the engine off, and after a couple second delay, about a pint (maybe less) of fuel spits out from under the truck. From looking under the hood, it looks like it's coming from the bottom of the fuel pump. Is this a sign of a bad seal in the pump, or could one of the hoses under there have a small crack? It doesn't do it all the time, either. TIA Thanks to all who replyed. Looks as though it was nothing more than some dry rot on the end of one of the hoses.

John

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: Pukin\' Fuel-Fuel pump???

Well if my truck was puking gasoline i would fix it before i drove it again. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    I've had my truck catch on fire and it ain't fun.
    I hope you're carrying around a fire extinguisher with you.
    It took 2 extinguishers to put out my trucks fire.

The first thing i'd do is replace all the rubber fuel hoses. If that doesn't get rid of the problem throw a new fuel pump in it. I've seen fuel pumps leak like your talking about.
    Those are cheap and easy fixes.... Way easier than burning your truck to the ground and starting all over.

The fuel pumps and hoses are so easy and accessible on trucks and blazers why not change it out. Much easier than say a '57 Nomad. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

...Don't neglect your fuel system... carrying the most explosive fluids in the truck.

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Don't I know it! Like I said, it just started recently. Yesterday was the first time I noticed (actually the wife did). I am about to get a fuel pump, unless of course it is just a hose. It only happens immediately after I shut the engine off. Just got an extinguiser a couple of weeks ago, certainly don't want to have use it. Thanks.

John

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can you reach down and easily feel for the fuel? If you run it, shut it off, then stick your fingers around the fittings and along the hoses, you should be able to find the leak.

Might be able to see something from underneath as well, but it will be easier if everything has been wiped clean first.

5. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your fuel pump is toast. If the diaphragm tore, then fuel could leak out of the weep hole. Also, if the diaphragm is torn, fuel could make it up into your crank case; so check your oil and be sure there is no fuel in it.

I troubleshot a leaky rear main problem on my truck for months before I realized that the fuel pump was allowing fuel into the crankcase thinning the oil out.

Thomas.