Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

puling engine today

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Nov 20, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hopefully I can get it out today.
    Someone suggested I bolt it to 4x4 pieces of wood. Or set it on a old tire so the oilpan doesn't get crushed. I don't have an old tire so I have to use the wood Idea. Do I basically just pull the engine out, and bolt the wood to the engine or how do I do it? I'm tired, so bare with me this morning. Thanks

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don't really feel like doing this today. I am really frustrated from something last night, and I can't get my contacts in. But It snowed 3 inches a few days ago, and I know it will be snowing a lot more soon. I just want to get everything off that I can, then get the frame into the shop. Then I can just putter at grinding the rivets and such until spring when I can reassemble everything.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I just was out there looking and planning the attack. I think I will use the left manifold at the back, and the bracket at the front right side of the engine to lift it up. I looked for bolts, and all I could see were 2 per side on the mount, no more. I will see if I can do it like that. Is it possible to take the engine out first, or does the tranny/t-case have to go first?

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

If you have any open bolt holes on the front and rear of the cylinder heads you can use them. You will have to find the right size and length bolt to go in them but that is how I always pull my engines. As for where to place it when it's out, you can place the wood under the motor mounts (stack it high enough to keep the pan off the ground) and use some more wood under the harmonic balancer at the front of the crank. The idea is just to keep the oil pan off the ground... nothing too complicated like bolting wood to the block. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay thanks.
    One more question, it's a stupid one, but bare with me.
    If I put the floor jack under the crossmember for the tranny-t-case, unbolt the bolts, and lower it down with the floor jack, will it balance okay? Or what will I have to do? Also, how far back will I have to pull the tranny to get it to lower down? I am far from confident on doing this, so please don't get mad at the questions. Thanks

6. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

If I was you (working on a bare frame) I would support the transmission with a jack and a block of wood on the pan (block of wood to spread the weight of the tranny) and yank the engine. Then, when the engine was aside, I would use a chain or strap and use the engine hoist to pull the tranny out of the frame. Trying to balance a tranny/t-case on a jack and lower it down is very dangerous and is not a one man job! You will have much better luck with the engine hoist, especially is you are trying to do it yourself. Balancing it is kind of hit or miss, once you start to lift it you will see where you need to relocate your straps/chains to for it to balance properly.

If you have any other concerns don't be afraid to post them... The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay. I will do the engine first. I am just trying to find nuts that will fit on these bolts I found. Then unbolt it, then I will hope for the best. Thanks for the help.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

sorry, but what is a harmonic balancer? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

its the big round thing between the engine and the crank pulley (the pulley on the bottom)

are you planning on pulling this engine apart?

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

the engine isn't exactly mine. one of my dads friends owes us 300 bucks (long story) so if he doesn't pay us, I have to buy it off my mom, or we're going to sell it. I want to use this engine to learn how to rebuild an engine.
    Why?
    Thanks!!

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Its not hard to cut a few peices of 4x4 wood and drill a hole thru it so you can put it in the brackets that bolt to the block,and nail a smaller peice across the "legs" too keep them from speading--its worth the 10 minites it takes--if you just stack blocks under the brackets,it will work,but if you happend to bump up against it it could topple over and crush the pan or damage other things,and this way its easier to move,just pick it up with the engine crane,and let it down where you want it,without stacking blocks under it.I have a stand made of angle iron with wheels I use to roll motors around,but you sound like you dont have time or the means to make one right now(I can understand that!).An old shopping cart with the wire basket part removed works well too--we used one at the machine shop for just that purpose,wheeling the motor to the hot tank,boring machine,etc.Actually,if you let the motor down very slowly,and put something under it,chances are the pan will survive just fine--but remember the oil pump screen inside is real close to the bottom--any dents in the pan could cause it to starve for oil later on,so be careful not to crush it.
    I agree with using the crane to remove the tranny and transfer case from above--much safer and easier that way,you will have to try a few places to bolt the chain at until you find the "balance point" so it wont tip the wrong way,and come up level when you lift it.Just be careful--even if you drop it--just run away!-tranny's and transfer cases are cheaper than broken bones or other injuries.And dont be afraid to ask the questions you might think are dumb--its dumber not to ask,and wish you did later!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don't have any 4x4, but I might use 4x3 and drill a hole like you said. I will take a look. I just don't wan't to hurt the engine. so i may just do what you said then. if I have thosw 2 legs like you suggested, how can i make it so it won't tip forwards or backwards?? thanks

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

another way to sit the moter on the grond id to make a seat for it:
    weld two U shapped loops out of 1"square tube, as long as the oil pan, and ass high as the pan is deep.

the weld two piece conecting thetips of the U's togeather, so when it sits on the ground the bottom of the Us sit under the oil pan bolts.

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

That's a good idea, but I don't have any way to bend the square tubing. Thanks though!

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I want to use this engine to learn how to rebuild an engine.
    Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

before you tear into it, you better do some serious research. http://www.chevytalk.org/threads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=713945&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD i have the first 5 books on this list, i purchased them about 2 years ago. at that time i had approximately 20 successful engine rebuilds under my belt, and thought i knew the ins and out of how it worked. after reading all 5 of them, boy was i wrong! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif i havent built one since then, unless you count the 2.3 Ford i built last spring, but the next one i do build should be pretty stout.

16. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Pic up this months Car Craft magazine. They welded up a little engine stand out of 1" square tube. They even gave measurements. Put that welder to use!

James

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I want to use this engine to learn how to rebuild an engine.
    Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

before you tear into it, you better do some serious research. http://www.chevytalk.org/threads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=713945&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD i have the first 5 books on this list, i purchased them about 2 years ago. at that time i had approximately 20 successful engine rebuilds under my belt, and thought i knew the ins and out of how it worked. after reading all 5 of them, boy was i wrong! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif i havent built one since then, unless you count the 2.3 Ford i built last spring, but the next one i do build should be pretty stout.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, before I even attempt it I will read and research as much as I can. And hopefully buy a book that tells you pretty much step by step (if there is such thing /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif) so it's a bit easier. I just thought Instead of paying someone to do it, I could do it and learn lots (even if it costs more, it will be worth it) /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Car craft magazine? I will look for it tomorrow and see if I can find it. Never seen it before though /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

grumpyvette at ChevyTalk is probably the greatest wealth of small block information i've ever come across. might want to join up there and do some reading.

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don't have much time today, but I will take a good look at the site tomorrow. Thanks for the advice /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

getting ready to pull the tranny/t-case now. I'm just looking for some rope and chain to support it when I lift up. Then I will bolt it back onto the crossmember so it won't squish the oilpans when it's sitting.