Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pull engine or tranny?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HD, Nov 6, 2003.

1. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

I have to replace my flywheel, and I was wondering if you thought it would be easier to pull the engine or drop the transmission. My K5 is a '75 with a 350 and TH350/203 trans and transfer case. I can use a frame lift and a cherry picker and a transmission jack. So like I said, just wondering your thoughts. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I'd pull the engine out just far enough to get into the bellhousing...also, make sure you get a flexplate, not a flywheel when you get the replacement /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

The say go at it from the bottom. The is roughly how I did the last one. I just took the shifter & speedometer loose from the t-case, took the lines, shifter, etc loose from the tranny, unbolt the torque converter, take the bottom 2 bolts out of the bellhousing and scrwed in a bolt about 3 inches long, then took the other 4 bellhousing bolts out, take the crossmember loose, and slid the whole thing back a coule of inches (this is where the longer bolts in the bottom help to hold everything up and in line for re-installation), never unbolting the t-case from the tranny or taking the drive shafts out. It gave me enough room to get a wrench in there to the bolts. I would take 1 bolt out, and spin the engine over until I could get to another one, and so on. Then when the new flexplate is installed, you can just slide the whole thing back into place and bolt everything back up. This is the easiest way I have ever found. Hope this helps you out.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

engine out far enough forwardto get your wheel replaced, if you are sneaky enough you can remove the engine block mounted engine mounting brackets fromt he block by raising engine up high enough, and then you can slide enigne forward without having to lift too much, its tricky and ive done it a few times recently, i can do it with a 3/8" drive ratchet with 3" extension for the two upper bolts and a deep socket for the lower bolt,

5. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

Great! Thanks for all the help, a lot of good ideas. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif