Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pull Pal....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by babyburb, Feb 16, 2007.

1. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

anyone ever use one of these things? Do they actually work?
    [​IMG]
    This is the one off of ORD.com

2. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

the price scared me, I have a spade/danforth style marine anchor that works if there is nothing else to hook to.

4. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

I saw a video clip of one in use. It was pulling a Heep if I remember correctly. They planted it into very loose dirt and then claimed you can pull it right back out.

The problem as I see it. You take a 8000 lb burb and sink that into the ground, how in the world would it come back up by hand? They say the military uses them. Any military guys with experience with this type of pull aid?

5. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have never even seen one here. Our recovery comes in the form of tracked vehicles. When I used to carry an anchor it was because I had a burb and there were very few things that could pull me out. IIRC whenI was done using the anchor to winch off of I had to dig it out or place it somewhere i could go hook to it and pull it back up but I don't remember it being a huge deal to recover the anchor after it was set. I mosty used it to pull myself out of mudholes in open fields where there wasn't a tree within 500 yards.

6. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

How big of an anchor did you have to use for your burb. Did it work good?

7. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 14,000lb pull-pal. I will not leave pavement without it!! Have used it many times and it has worked successfully to anchor my burb as well as an Econoline 350 (15 passenger :eek1: ). I have used it in the tiaga and although it can be chalanging to get it to dig at fist, once it bights in, it is an awesome anchor for either a winch point or a dead head when winching another vehicle.
    I have the fold up part of the tool mounted on my roof rack and the spad fits perfectly under the passenger seat (it doesn't even rattle :D ).
    The price is high but well worth it IMHO.

8. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

These are the only two action pics I have while using the pull-pal. It's very hard to tell that I'm winching put note the Carhart coat on the winch cable. This is a 300+ ft. snot covered hill that took about two and a half hours to get four rigs up (all but one had to use the pull-pal).
    PurchesSept302006 068.jpg

PurchesSept302006 067.jpg

PurchesSept302006 068.jpg

PurchesSept302006 067.jpg