Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pull the sled or don't pull the sled?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Jun 28, 2001.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Pull the sled or don\'t pull the sled?

Okay, here in Illinois we have a local truck competition and I'm going. I'm obviously planning on doing the mud bogs and stuff like that. I refuse to do back-to-backs. That's an easy way to destroy parts, and I see no point in hooking up to a truck that isn't stuck or broken.

So, what about the sled? My 700R4/NP 208 combo isn't the strongest. I don't know that it's a good idea to be trying to pull something so heavy with them. I have a transmission cooler, though.

My only issue is, I have a 305 anyway, so I'm a little low on the cubic inch department. It's built to the gills short of aftermarket cylinder heads, and makes more power than a stock 350, but I still might not do all that well anyway.

So, should I do the sled? It might be fun! But I can't afford to destroy my 700 or my 208. They both seem to be in good shape though. I've got 4.10 gears and 35" BFG muds. So, what do you guys think?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: Pull the sled or don\'t pull the sled?

Hmmm, would be fun but I would expect something to break! That way when something breaks you won't get upset and if you make the pull with out bustin something you will be WAY happy you gave it a try!! GoForIt!!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099</A>

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Truck pulls (I don't know why they call it that because your not pulling a truck, rather a transfer sled with a truck), anyways, is not usually that hard on equipment when done properly. Rock climbing, mudbogging, back to back pulls, plowing, are all far worse. Even towing a heavy trailer is harder on equipment. The thing is if something is weak to begin with, it may break. You are only pulling for a minute if that, yes it's hard on parts, but you never really get really hot, unless your clutches are going in your tranny and all they do is slip (but if your tranny is good you will have no problems). You are not pulling a heavy trailer on I-95 for 4 hours going up steep inclines generating lots-o-heat. Check your driveline and make sure everything is tight. Tighten your u-bolts, check your u-joints (if they are sloppy DON'T pull or replace them first). The problem most people have and end up braking lots-o-parts is not knowing how to work the throttle. To start off you need to put your foot into it to get going (not all the way to the floorboards, but close), then as you get moving increase throttle. Now the important part: IF your truck starts hopping DO NOT pull your foot off the gas, EASE out of the throttle. If the truck stops hopping you can try to ease back into it, if not just keep EASING out until you stop. When you start bouncing and either keep your foot in it or quickly take it off is when you break parts. That and quick motions with you foot either accelerating and decelerating. It's like an impact wrench, sudden bursts of power OR sudden decreases in power due the damage, and bouncing does both alternately and really quick. I have been pulling for 9 years and have yet to break a part, and I have pulled some beaters. Granted I checked them over mechanically before I pulled each one and they were in fair (not great) shape. I just know when to ease into and out of the throttle. I also do it for fun, if I win I win, if I don't I don't, but I know I will be driving away at the end of the day. Even though you have 4.10 gearing you may be a little disadvantaged with 35 inch tires. Whatever you don't listen to people who tell you to air down. Use a shorter set of tires if you can find some, but if not, use the 35's at there recommended street pressure.

If you didn't built it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I never really thought about it that way.

I know that for pulling I could use lower gears, but my truck isn't built just to pull a sled, I drive it on the road and tackle various off-road situations and the gears I have are ideal for the other uses. I don't have any shorter tires with tread that is any good.

Sounds like I'll be doing it! All of my u-joints are new, tight, and full of grease, including my axle u-joints. I should be good to go.

Tim

5. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

the 208 got a nice 4-low though. Also make sure you get pics and good luck.

1988 K5- Piss on Ford/Dodge/Jeep

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Pull the sled!! I would, but make sure all things on your truck check out ok first. If you go with a marginal/broken truck, you will come back with a more broken truck. Dont do it if it is not up to task.

If all is okay, pull that sled. We want to hear about the results though.

'83 GMC Jimmy 4x4 ZZ4 Crate Motor
    '83 Chevy P/U 4x4 Sand Drag Racer, 578 RWHP
    '94 Impala SS
    '01 Chevy 2500HD w/8.1L & Allison Auto

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's in August. I'm definitely pulling the sled.

My truck is as rock solid as it gets. It has a new engine in it, the tranny's been flushed and serviced twice, the transfer ATF is new, both axles have new oil in them, all new u-joints, etc. My truck is almost all new! I don't know why I'm worried.

I'll keep that in mind about the hopping idea. That was one of the things I was worried about.

Tim

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Just ensure the T-case has plenty of ATF. I've read in numerous places that improper lube levels killed far more 208's than too much power.

And be sure to use a torque wrench on all your hardware...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style...
    [​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

9. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I agree with these guys, go for it! Using the low range will take some brunt off your 700R4. Although with my 305 I couldn't pull jack in high range so it may be a moot point [​IMG]

10. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

also watch out if you have a lift or extended driveshaft for a lift (rear) if your snubbers don't match the driveshaft travel you could push the driveshaft into the transfercase. another tip for pulling is undo any spring keepers on your front leafs to allow them to extend fully when the front end starts to come up so the front tires keep pulling. another tip for the stock class (especially if they don't allow weights up front) is to put your spare tire up front (and if you don't mind bending the rules a bit fill it with water!!! have I done it, I won't say, but my spare 36 is only up there when I was pulling....) you will have alot of fun out there....just my 2 cents....ED