Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pull With Big Tires Or Small???????

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by JEBSR, May 7, 2006.

1. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

My truck won't fit on my trailer without running over my fenders and crushing them. I have two options that I see.Put braces over the fenders and drive over them, or put on smaller tires to tow.

I am thinking that with the smaller tires it will lower my center of gravity making the trailer more stable should I have to change lanes fast or something. Is this true or does it really matter?

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

My friend used 1/4" diamond tread plate to make his fenders. They work great for driving on... it's a PITA to always swap tires, especially when they're muddy.

3. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I'm lazy

[​IMG]

4. kyser_soze

I'm lazy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You could use wedge shaped wooden blocks on the platform (sort of like what's depicted on kyser soze's trailer). Just make them tall enough that the tires won't touch the fender skirts.

I've seen guys swap out only the two front tires to get the clearance...but it does seem like a pain to pull tires on/off every time.

6. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking of something like Kyser has but removable for when I pull other cars. The wooden blocks would certainly fit the bill.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You mean like this?:doah:
    [​IMG]

I had to pull all 4 tires because I couldn't get the K5 forward enough with the boggers on back to get the weight right. It was a big pain in the sit down place.:D

Luckely, Shaggy was nice enough to lend me his compressed air and impact gun to make things a little quicker at camp when I arrived. Needless to say, it was a lot of work and plan on using a deck over trailer this year so I don't have to remove the wheels and tires.

As far as stability, no, I don't think it makes any kind of difference with either size tires.

8. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

You should just build new fenders from scratch. Just make them alot stronger and angled. If you build removable ramps that would just be more to carry around, or to keep track of. New fenders and there is no more parts and you would be able to load up whatever you want.

9. kyser_soze

These are removable, there bolted into the deck. They alsocan be pulled in half.

10. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I've got 1/4" flatbar welded to reinforce the fender to drive over. Still get a car in the middle and no yanking tires all the time. It doesn't make the fenders any narrower in between. and plenty strong enough for big stupid trucks. This trailer used to haul Wolf359 the fenders held the land cruiser with 44's, I picked it up from him. You can see the widened deck too.

[​IMG]

11. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

How about this?

100_6903.JPG

100_6906.JPG

12. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Hell I like that, Currently either changing tires or putting wood along side the fender to go over. I've got to go get some measurment and see if I can do that or not. Trucks pretty wide with rims/tires I'm running. My fender is also solid welded at the bed, but I could cut that.

13. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Mine WAS welded to the bed as well...

14. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Or another fender mod option could be done this way...

dcp_4217trailerfenders.jpg

dcp_4218trailerfenders.jpg

dcp_3936towtrailer.jpg

dcp_3937towtrailer.jpg

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I stacked three leftover 4x4 wood pieces together on each side and then cut the ends at an angle to drive over. These ramps than have a couple pieces of 2x4's running vertical on the inside edge to hold them together, then I ran a couple bolts through the 4x4's and into the side of the fenders. I've been using this setup for years and have never had a problem.

To remove them for hauling a car or something, you simply remove two nuts on each side and pull them off. They are plenty light enough for one person to easily move them around. The other nice thing is that I ran 2x4's cross ways between the two ramps to make a little firewood/parts holder in this area.

The problem with just reinforcing the stock fenders is that they are too far apart and only about 2-3" of the tire on each side would make contact with them, making it really hard to load and unload without having a tire slip off.

Making more permanent inner fender extensions/ramps are a pain if you ever need to hauls something like a car that won't between them.

I originally thought about removable fenders, but decide those would be a pain. Especially since the correct weight distribution of the Blazer on the trailer would require either perfect placement of the rear tires, or pull the front tires past the fenders, get out and reattach the fenders, and then pull rest of the way forward. If the rear tires were slightly off center you coundn't get removeable fenders back on.