Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pulled my first tranny and transfer case :)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan88Jimmy, Jun 22, 2000.

1. Ryan88Jimmy

Ryan88Jimmy Registered Member

Well like the subject says, me and my dad pulled out my 700r4 and 208 transfer case yesterday. I guess it was a little easier then I expected but still was pretty awkward with a wobbly jack :)

After we pulled the transfer case off I noticed a crack in the case, so I decided to take the plunge and put in a 205 output shaft seeing as how we are rebuilding the tranny anyways. I'll take some pictures of the transfer case swap and do a write up on the whole ordeal after we get everything working properly.

Ryan88Jimmy

2. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

When I did my 350/203 combo I was having some troubles with the jacks I had and I found that a transmission jack was the answer to my troubles. I found one for rent at a local heavy equipment rental shop for like $20 a day. It's like a standard floor jack but you can angle the platform and it also has 4 pegs that you can use to pin whatever your jacking up so that it doesn't flop around on you.

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I got the mother of all jacks and I made a cradle for both the tranny and the case. Just used some 3/4 ply with a couple of 2x4's on the bottom to give it strength and then took chunks of wood an made pads and braces to hold the units. Works out real well. Left some woble where it mounts to the jack so I can make minor adjustments when installing. I can do it by myself.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

The easiest way that I have found to drop out a tranny/transfer combo is to poke your cherry picker (engine hoist) throught the passenger door, remove the 4x4 shift lever, drop a chain down through the hole, attach chain to the adapter housing between the trans and transfer (there's bolt holes underneath) and lower it down!! Great! No jacks in the way, nothing in the way below when you lower it! Then just slide it out from under the truck! No wobbly jacks to worry about! The thing stays pretty well balanced all the way down! Good luck!

ken

5. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I was thinking of removing the tires off my truck, lowering the chassis down so all 4 rotors ;) (shameless plug for my 4 disc brakes!) were almost on the ground. put jack stands / jack under the t-case / trans & lift the truck back up. I think the cherry picker would work better though.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

6. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Ken,, that's exactly how I did it. Well,, actully, I didn't think of that 'til I went to put it back in.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Nice Idea Ken!!!
    I remember when I put the CenterforceII kit in mine and man that job sucked!! I had never delt with a SM465&205 combo before and I didn't seporate them just droped the two as one piece, I mean I relley droped it[​IMG]THe sucker fell off the jack cuz I didn't support the torque mount side of the xfer case[​IMG] nothing broke but my pride and it took me and my buddie 2 days to get it back in!! Talk about rookies, ohwell live and learn.......
    PS I must have donit right sence that was about 4yrs ago and the cluch is still working fine!![​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

8. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that cherry picker idea works SOOOOO SWEET when installing a tranny/transfer combo. You don't have to worry about that 300 pound sucker falling off of a stinking jack!!!

ken

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I told Waxer to try that long ago. He had to replace a Fly wheel or flex plate. Told him to set jack stands under the tranny and cross memeber and let the air out of the tires. unbolt it push the truck foward then air it back up.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/