Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulled the motor last night... Forgot to seperate Torque converter from....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Forgot to seperate the TC from the Flywheel...After we got the motor out I grabbed the shaft that comes out from the trans and wiggled it and it seems to still be tight and i didnt see any cracks... Could there be any other damage, Maybe the pump or something? Just kinda want to ease my mind... Thx.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

It's probably ok, I'd put a new pump seal in though.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Re: Pulled the motor last night... Forgot to seperate Torque converter from

Well its hard to say. I have done that before in 1994 and the vehicle had no problems when reinstalled. As long as it came out with little drama. Hard to say without having seen it being pulled. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. Silver84k5

assuming thats the seal that the neck of the TC slides into?

Can i just tap it out and tap a new one in?

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Yep. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I agree with Paul, this all depends on how it came apart - easy or not.

6. Silver84k5

well it we lifted it slowly then rocked it alittle bit then lifted rocked etc.. i was watching the tranny to make sure it was seperating from the block and it never seemed to bind up or anything... then once it cleared the motor mounts it kinda lunged forward and that was it... Guess ill find out when the New motor goes in... Thatll be a hell of a bummer if im going to put it in gear and i got nothing /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Thx.

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

It should be just fine. Replace the outer seal and check for damage to the shaft and TC. You would of had to smack it pretty hard to do any major damage. Just to make things easier when you go to start up, fill the TC with fluid and slide it back onto the input shaft BEFORE you drop in the new engine. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif It didn't it puke fluid all over you or anything? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Note to self: Don't let Josh help with an engine swap...let him handle the beer runs... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Silver84k5

[darn] man used a 5 gallon bucket of kitty litter last night...

[ QUOTE ]
    Note to self: Don't let Josh help with an engine swap...let him handle the beer runs...

[/ QUOTE ]

Id be glad to make a beer run, Sit and drink while i watch somone pull a motor /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [darn] man used a 5 gallon bucket of kitty litter last night...

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I think we've all had our /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif SH*T moments working on our junk. I pulled the classic "forgot to put the drain plug back in the oil pan" move about 10 years ago. I didn't realize anything was wrong until I stepped back from the front of the car and heard a "squish" sound. When I looked down I was standing inteh middle of a HUGE stinking oil puddle! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Then I had to hurry and clean it up before anybody saw it /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

The best thing for cleaning stuff up is rice husks. They abosorb oils, grease, and most other stuff like a sponge /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I try to keep a bag around 'cause I have been known to make a mess or two every now and then. Just ask T-roy about my radiator & his driveway /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Let's just say that if there are any 3 eyed fish swimming around out there I know NOTHING about it!

10. Silver84k5

rice husks? where do i get something like that>?

11. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I get them from my tranny guy. I'll see if he can point me to his supplier. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif