Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulled the Valve Covers.. FOUND THE PROBLEM *EDIT: stud replaced*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Apr 5, 2006.

?

What fun do I have to look foward to (watch vid if you can to get idea)

1. pulled stud

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. wiped out cam lobe

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. bent push rod

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. dead lifter

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. you have to run the engine NEKKID to figure it out

16 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I think I found whats wrong, now I just need to figure out how to fix it. I pulled my plugs, plug wires, and HEI wire and got a buddy to tap the motor over a few times. This was with the valve covers off. All of the rockers are very loose feeling, I can shake them from side to side. One of them is so loose that it sits side ways and has TONS of play.. I don't know if its just an adjustment issue, or if its something more complicated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do yall think? What should I do next?
    thanks,
    James

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

that will defently do it, adjust them how they are supposed to be and then go from there, if there are other problems it will still show after the adjustments

3. 78Suburban

Would I be better off adjusting them with the motor running or not? Its running soo poorly now that I probably wont' be able to adjust them that way. I'm thinking this one may need something more than adjustment, as it actually sits a litte sideways.

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you only need to adjust them with the engine on if you have solid lifters

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Hey, that sounds familiar ... my BB, one had in fact almost come OFF, as the stud had sheared from it being loose for gods knows how long :( and only the nut was holding it in place :eek:

Replaced the stud and adjusted the lot, and she runs pretty good now.

-- A

6. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

Maybe you have a flat cam lobe :( . adjust them with it running . just back off untill the rocker starts clackin then tighten just till it stops and go a 1/4 turn more . good luck . Yes it can be a bit messy but that's what engine degreaser is for .

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Pull the rocker that is sitting crooked and look at the rocker stud, i'll bet it is about sawed in half. Don't worry, it can be repaired with the head still on the engine. Check it out and see if that's what you find then PM me and i will explain in detail how to fix it.

8. 78Suburban

One of those rockers is almost sideways and wicked loose, this vid should help to show what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

yup. something is bad, either bad lifters, or flat cam, and i am willing to bet, the person you bought it from, KNEW there was something WRONG with the motor when it was sold to you.

tighten them up, and see how it runs is all you can do now.

10. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Oh I've walked this road before... At least your rocker is not broken in half laying on the head... You can adjust em with the engine runnning or with it off, according to the book.

11. Eddie W

Eddie W Registered Member

You have probablly pulled a rocker arm stud, it's very common. take a flat edge and lay it across the top of the studs this will tell you if they are pullindg or not. If they are you simply pull the stud tap the haed and replace it with a screw in stud available at most auto parts stores. If not you either wore a lobe off of you cam or you have a lifter that is collapsed which really is not that bad either if it's just the lifter.

12. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

go down to your parts store and see if they have oil deflectors.. Clip em on the rockers and adjust away.. they're cheap, I've got like 2 sets in my box..

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...art=MRG-1015&N=400330+302824+115&autoview=sku

loosen, clatter, tighten to quiet, 1/4 more.. also check that rocker and pushrod for travel to see if its the same as the others... could be a wiped lobe, colapsed lifter, etc...

13. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

don't bother playing around with the engine running. Do it with the engine off. All you need are feeler gauges and the usual wrench and torks set(the star looking thingy). First put each cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke as you adjust those valves. I like to adjust the rockers to .006in between the valve and rocker arm. Loosen the torks lock and then tighten nut acordingly until proper spacing is achieved. Then tighten the torks lock in the nut and presto chango you just adjusted your rocker arms.

14. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If his cam is hydraulic, (which i'm sure it is) the info you just gave is incorrect. The correct method if doing it with the engine off is to find TDC then loosen the rocker nut until there is play then slowly start tightening the rocker nut while spinning the pushrod, once you feel a slight drag you go an additional 1/2 turn and you're done.

The only time you adjust the valves and have clearance between the rocker and the tip of the valve is when you're running a solid lifter camshaft, and even then the clearance is alot more than .006".

15. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Oh, my bad.

16. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You have quite a mess there, with a posibilty of several major problems ranging from flat cam, bent push rods, dead lifters, to pressed in studs pulled out, and galled valve stems. I am surprised during the whole time you have been having a problem with your engine that you did not notice the valves clacking. Valves that loose would have made some major slapping noise.

17. ryoken

eh, fresh setup or fresh parts, sure.. but by the looks of those rockers and how much he's tried to run it, I'd just do it the quick way... Definitely worth checking that stud first tho...

18. ryoken

eesh, I was such a hardcore solids fan for years... Love that bottom end torque, but hate that maintenence... I've grown old and lazy, thus I prefer hydro anyday these days... :wink1:

19. 78Suburban

how do I know if I have hydro of solid??? SUPPOSEDLY It may not be stock.. SUPPOSEDLY its a 350 out of a '73 camaro, I guess I need to crawl back there and look at the bellhousing.. man I should have done that before I dropped it in the truck :mad:

20. ryoken

your hydro..

haha, i never even read past chevy305's first line.... didn't even see he gave the solids info... :doah: :haha:

Damn it, pay attention Ryoken!! :doah: :o :haha: