Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulley/Belt system recommendation needed...

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MikeH, Jun 12, 2002.

1. MikeH

MikeH Registered Member

Hello;

I'm looking to upgrade the pulley/belt system on my '71. It has a hi-perf. 383 stroker conversion SB with built everything. The issue is that when I get' on it, I hear squealing which I am pretty sure is from the belts slipping, etc.

It has factory AC. I am using the stock pulleys/belts, etc but they obviously aren't making it. One of these days I'm going to throw a belt becuase when I git' on it goes and squeals like a pig!

Any recommendations on a deep groove pulley and/or serpentine belt system for a '71 with AC? Thanks...

2. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Mine squeals like crazy too. I don't have AC though. I have narrowed it down to the driver's head mounting of the alternator. The little "strap-type" adjustment bracket flexes when you twist the engine up. My fix is to get an entire serpentine system from the front of a late model caprice or impala. But you have to change out the waterpump as well because it's a reverse rotation cooling system. Just be careful and get the whole system, then you'll have a "new" AC compressor to do an onboard air setup with. The junkyards around here want about $150 for all of the brackets and pulleys or $250 for all the accessories and brackets, (waterpump, alt, AC compressor, etc.), that's what I'll do when I get the cashflow. Then I'll only have to carry on spare belt instead of the three that I have now.

HTH,

Buddy

3. MikeH

MikeH Registered Member

I checked out the March Pulley #20406 serpentine kit, talk about pricey ~$950! Haven't priced the kit Vintage Air puts out but I'm sure its up there too. I guess coolness has its price.

Time to scour the junkyards I'm thinking... Give me an excuse to change alternators to an internally regulated model anyway. Thanks for the idea of swapping in a late model system...

MikeH

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

check with pace parts...they have a surpentine belt system from a 90's truck for under 600...includes every bracket you need /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

You shouldn't have that kind of problem. I wind my 357 past 6200 RPM on a pretty consistent basis and I never hear any squaling out of the belts. I don't have A/C, but that shouldn't make any difference if you don't have the compressor clutch engaged. I'd be willing to bet you have either a misalignment of pulleys or bracket flexion as Buddy said.