Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pulley removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NoSmog73, Feb 22, 2002.

1. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ok I feel really dumb for asking this BUT do I need a puller to remove the old powersteering pulley to put on the new pump,or will a gentle talking with a hammer do it.....Or di I miss something besides the nut on the pump spindle...

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

You definately need a puller from Autozone, and it'll kick your ass!!! Good Luck

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Whatever you do, make sure the puller you get is for a power steering pump. The power steering puller grabs the ledge that is just outside the center of the steering pump shaft. If you try to use a puller on the outside of the pulley you will be searching for another pulley. This is all assuming you have a pressed on pulley and not a bolt on pulley. If your pulley is a bolt on style you should be able to just take the pulley off after removing the nut. If it doesn't want to come off easily then you may very lightly tap on the back side of the pulley as close to the center as possible.

1989 blazer, 383 stroker, 4.56 geared and detroit locked D44 front and 14BFF rear

4. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Really need the special power steering pully puller as stated above. I didn't have one, and autozone's was lent out so I drilled out the pumps shaft from the center of the pully. This is not the way to do it. I ruined my core ($5), and it took me about 2 hrs. Get the puller.

No, thats not a dent in my truck's body. I call it my truck's armor.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I bought the puller, since on the newer GM's you have to remove the freakin' pulley just to get the pump and bracket off the front of the engine (what a STUPID design, but that's another story for another thread). The kit will remove and install the pulley and works really slick! Without the right tool, you're most likely gonna screw up the pulley or the pump shaft or both. [​IMG] Those suckers fit on there TIGHT! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

6. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ya went and got the puller and came off like a a/t on a mud hill???? thanks.. I had to use it 2 times because I put that shim in the wrong location and made the pulley turned the wrong way so glad I got it now again thanks..mike