Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pulley system to lift blazer hard top

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tp85, Oct 16, 2002.

1. tp85

tp85 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anybody have pix of a pulley system used to lift and store their blazer hard top? I am ready to build something, and was hoping to see some proven designs?

I think Greg72 and 69AZBlazer have a system to suspend their hard tops from their house rafters.

thanks.

2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

3. tp85

thanks!

4. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

I chose a simple approach which works great for me but it may make some cringe.

The center of balance is actually on the fiberglass "hoop" (reinforced area) over the back seat. I drilled a hole /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif through the very center and put in a huge eye hook (eye protrudes on the outside/nut protrudes on the inside). It is then very easy to hook your lifting device to one point and lift/drop the top into place. Since it's hanging from one point, it's also very easy to guide it back into position.

I don't leave it hanging from this point to limit stress, it doesn't leak (I liberally applied silicon into the hole), you don't see the eye hook from the ground (my Blazer is standard height).

It works for me, since I don't have a soft-top, I have to replace the top quickly when it rains.

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Here is a really nice setup by someone on here...I don't remember...
    Top Storage 1
    Top 2
    Top 3
    Top 4
    Top 5
    I don't remember any specifics...maybe the person responsible will post up.

6. I think that would be Greg72's ... and if I remember correctly he also vacuums his garage /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. tp85

yeah, that is Greg72's setup. pretty slick. he sent me the images with a lot of advice and pointers. thanks greg72

8. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Here are some pics of my pulley setup. I used four cheap rope hoists from Harbor Freight @ $6.00 each, 6 2x4s and a bunch of eye-bolts with fender washers. The approach is pretty much textbook.. bolting a 2x4 to the top in the factory locations at the rear, and tucking a 2x4 behind the mounting brackets in the front. It's set up so that I can easily hoist it by myself and one nice thing is that I can drop the top all the way to the floor to work on it, etc.. I have the ropes gathered in two sets, so I can lift the front half way, tie it off, and then lift the rear. Too easy... took all of about an hour to set up.

Rear View
    Side View
    Front View

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Awwww Shucks......! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The fact that you guys archive my pics and re-post them warms my heart!

Yep, that's my setup. I have to admit it's weird seeing my truck on 35's and 1/2-Ton axles....seems like a million years ago! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Anyway...thanks for posting those, I'm out of space in the Member's Gallery AGAIN!!!

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm sitting here sweating like mad after single handedly putting the hard top back on my blazer without anything but my back! When it was on 4" lift, 33's and no cage, I could slide it off and on by resting it on my back and lowering the top onto one side of the bed or the other, then get out and slide it on and off. Now with 7" of lift, 38's and a cage... its just too much! Unfortunatley I have nothing to hook a pully up to, thinking about the tall saw horse trick on each side, and driving away.

11. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

Actually I use a tree. Being it's Texas and I have "rope" hanging from the tree in front of my garage, I get some interesting looks from passer-bys /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'll bet it cuts down on the door to door sales in the area! LOL

13. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

Maybe thats why...
    Hey it saves having to dress up the house for Halloween