Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pullin on heavy braking? WTH

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Apr 3, 2006.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

When i step on the brakes hard the truck wants to pull left and right. Could this be a sticking or loose brake, or a bad steering stabalizer. Its been drivign me crazy and makes my passengers freak out anytime i need to brake hard. :D

jus wondering

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

sticky caliper and or warped rotor

4. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A plugged brake hose could cause it to pull to one side. Try bleeding the caliper on the opposite side that is pulling. If you have a hard time getting fluid though the bleeder compare to the side that pulling-then you may have a plugged line.

5. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

yeah bleed first. a while back i had a pull, it was from a failiing caliper. when i jacked up the front end and applied a slight amount of brake pressure, the failed side's tire was easier to spin. after pressure was takin off the pedal, the failed side was harder to spin.

6. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

If you have a plugged line, the failed side could be eaiser to spin (no brakes).

7. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Did I say "spin"? No. I meant fluid would have a hard time trying to go though a plugged line, hence, a plugged line would not let any pressure reach the caliper and the wheel would be easier to spin.

8. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Just re-stating for clarification. Sometimes it seems the side that has brakes is the side that has the problem, and its not apparent that it is really the other side.

9. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have had this problem before. The cure for me was to ditch the cheap as front pads and install genuine gm pads...problem solved. Really burns ya when you think its a caliper and it switches sides...

DW

10. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

mine has been doing that lately,also.i tore it down to assess the situation,and that's when i noticed that i was missing a caliper bolt(wtf?)i was thinking someone was sabotaging my stuff,but when i tried to put in another bolt,i found that th threads were stripped in the backing plate and the new bolt wouldn't thread into it.it must have fallen out eventually after hitting the chatter bumps on the dirt roads all the time.hope it helps.good luck!