Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulling 14 bolt axle - emergency brake cable removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Yukon Jack, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I'm pulling a 14 bolt out of a 78 3/4 ton. I have everything disconnected except the emergency brake cable. How do I diconnect it so I can pull the axle out from under the frame? Do I remove the two bolts on the back side of the drums where the cable feeds in and disconnect there or do I some how disconnect the cable where it is attached to the frame? I don't see how I disconnect it from the frame, if that is the place to do it from.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

If you want to disconnect it from the axle, you remove the two bolts holding it to the backing plate and also free the end from the arm inside the drum...then it will pull out. You will have to pull off the drums in order to disconnect the cable at the axle. Not sure about the frame end. The 14 bolt I got had the e-brake cables cut off. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

But, if it's anything like my 10 bolt's e-brake cables, there will be connections somewhere along the line that just need to be pried open a bit and the cable end will come out.

3. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Went ahead and just ground off the rivets holding the cables to the frame.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That will work too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif