Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulling a 12 bolt carrier

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Redfrog, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I am going to pull the carrier in my 12bolt tomarrow,I have never done this and want to make sure I know what to do before I do it, All I need to do is keep the caps and shims on the same side facing the same direction, and pull the carrier correct.. When I put it back in do I need to measure the backlash?, does anyone know the torque spec for the bolt that holds the cross shaft in place and maybe the bearing caps? TIA /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

when i pulled my 10 bolt gov-bomb carrier, i just unbolted it, removed the axles, and pulled it out with a pry bar, of corse i was just taking it out to put on the shelf to remind myself of my destruction. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Sounds like you have the procedure down, but there is no need to check backlash if you put all the shims back where they came from. The crosspin torque can't be much more than 20-25 ft/lbs based on the size of the bolt, and the bearing caps are 60 ft/lbs. </font color>

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Shaggy is right on for the torque specs. Some people will loctite the cross shaft bolt. If you do that used some brake cleaner to flush out the threads . Lock tote won't work if the threads have oil in them.
    If you decided to check the back lash then a 12 bolt should be 8-12 thousandths. Just had to reset mine on Sunday. We blew it on the original set up. You should also check that in 3-4 different spots on the ring gear to make sure there is not excessive run out. A rare occurance is the bearings don't seat and if they are not seated checking the back lash will show it.
    If you are changing bearings or carrier then you need to check the back lash for sure and I would check it before you pull the carrier and try to get it back to the same it was.

5. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info guys. I'm not changing any bearings, Just cleaning it out, I keep getting water in it and can't figure out where it is coming from so I am going to change the seals and go from there, I just want to make just there is no water in there at all before I put it back together