Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulling a steering wheel?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dasanii19, Dec 3, 2006.

1. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Are there any tricks to getting the steering wheel off? I know ill need the steering wheel puller tool..

See my problem is, my turn signal work for the left but does not stay on for the right, I have to hold it for it to work. Id like to get in there and see what the problem is..

Any suggestions or tips would be great!!

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, you may actually be able to get away without a puller if you have another person...

Back the nut off so its just flush with the end of the shaft (if you have one, it's better to take that one off and use one you have laying around)

take a deep socket, like a 3/8 drive, 13/16 or bigger, hold it to the nut/shaft with the 3/8 drive opening toward the nut..

with someone pulling on the wheel, whack the socket with a big hammer...

many times you can shock it off... But you didn't hear that from me... :wink1: :haha:

Or better yet, invest in the puller.. :wink1:

There is a metal spring-like bar that retains the plastic turn signal part of the mechanism down into the detents for the switch... That may have popped out or the plastic detents may be worn..

That turn assembly is readily available from stealerships, don't remember the price, but iirc it's not too bad...

3. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

so the steering wheel puller I get, it uses three bolts to pull the section out right? I have steering wheel puller but only uses two bolts, that wont work will it?

Please let me know all the tools ill need to pull everything out,. Im going to the wrecking yard tomorrow. Im going to pull everything I can, Im thinking I can get everything with a steering wheel puller and some screw drivers.. anything else? I just dont want to get out there and not have what i need :confused:

4. ryoken

a 2 bolt works...

You will need internal snap ring pliers to get the lockplate retaining snap ring off..

phillips head for the turn signal actuator... disconnect the wiring plug from the bottom of the column and slide it thru the column as you pull out the actuator..

to reinstall the lock plate on yours you'll really want a lockplate tool, makes it WAY easier..

5. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I've taken wheels off without using a puller, as ryoken described above, but I wouldn't recommend doing it on your own vehicle. That's better left for neighbor's or friend's cars. For your own, I'd invest in the puller. They are pretty cheap and you will definately use it again.

6. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Couldnt I just use some picks to get the lockplate retaining snap ring off? If not, do you think harbor frieght has snap ring pliers?

7. ryoken

yeah, you can do it with some picks, tapped in behind the ring.. i have in the past, can be a nuisance tho, but doable...

you may also be able to open it up with some needlenose used in a reverse fashion to spread it open. then get a pick or screwdriver in to keep open. then slide it up the shaft...

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Harbor freight has those pliers, they are for a couple of time use though, disposable I mean :)
    They are not the best workmanship but I have used them and they are cheap enough to where I didn't care.
    :D

9. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Once again, thanks!! I got everything I needed today, everything went as smooth as possible except for unpluging the damn wires and sliding it throguh the colum, there was some plastic guide that was in the way I had to brake to get all the wires through the column. How in the hell am I going to re-guide this thing through my column? Im almost wanting to just clip all the wires then just soder and shrink tube them back on mine? what do you think?

10. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Clip & solder is a very bad idea. Just work with it and it will come out. There is a metal housing or protector that is easily removed, 3 or 4 screws, be sure you have that off.

Read the Forums & buy a Manual.:doah: Preferably GM!

11. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

damn, I finally got the whole harness out of my truck, ran the one I got at the wrecking yard and the damn thing wont fit.. I comparred the two and yup they are different!! Man its cold outside, im frustrated as hell. I should have checked it first. They both looked the same form a glance..

Whats wrong with soldering? that seems to be my option right now besides going and just buying a new one which will probably cost $100+, too rich for my blood, wont a nice solder job work?

12. ryoken

The turn signal actuator and wires? Like I said, they're not real expensive, no more than like $30, 35...

13. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Your right, sorry.. Imm going to run down right now and get one.. a lot easyier. Thanks