Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pulling brakes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 91K5PROJECT, Oct 13, 2002.

1. 91K5PROJECT

91K5PROJECT Newbie

brakes on the truck pull sometimes, in either direction and it is not due to the grade in the road. they generally pull to the right the hardest as you are slowing down, from about 10mph and less, if you want to take a HARD right take your hands off the wheel. i've put on new calipers, new brake lines and new wheel cylinders in the back. not being a brake expert thought i would get some ideas. i know i need new ball joints and the steering box needs help to, could that be anything to do w/it?

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I see you have almost new everything, but did you purge the old fluid and start with fresh brake fluid and give it a "GOOD" bleeding? Try that first! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Try resurfacing your front rotors, or just get new rotors. Make sure the pads have not been contaminated with grease/oil. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check the rotors carefully. Not sure what were on mine (second hand axles) but upon close inspection (because of a pulling issue) I noticed that there were "bumps" on the rotor, caused by something being baked on. Some sandpaper and I was back in business, no pulling.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Make sure your calipers both slide freely on the bolts. Also check the front end out: wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. If the whole front end is tight, chances are that the problem is either air in the lines or something wrong with one of the caliper setups.

6. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

I totally agree with the other guy... bleed out your entire system!!! That is the best way to start.. and the cheapest... and most likely the problem... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

People are suggesting to bleed your brakes. I'm assuming you've already done this after your previous replacements, (so you got lucky ; ) but it's almost a given that bleeding the brakes "conventionally", results in the master cylinder failing.

Not to say its your problem, just something to keep an eye out for when bleeding an old one.