Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulling carb off tomorrow....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77K5Blazer, Jun 4, 2001.

1. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I am pulling to carb off tomorrow after school, so I can have it rebuilt. There is a lot of stuff to mark and account for when I pull that thing off! Oh my goodness! Anybody have any suggestions as to what I can do to effectivly replace everything? I'm gonna use a polaroid, tape, and drawings, anything I am missing? We'll see how it turns out....I will keep you updated!

<font color=red>1977 Blazer, GM350, SM465, NP205, Dana 44/ 12bolt, 31x10.50r15 BFGs</font color=red>
    "Awh....Prarie $hit!!" -Blazing Saddles

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Naa it ain't all that bad just take your time and for the vac hoses use masking tape and number them so you know for sure wich port they go back onto. Oh and don't loose that little clip for your throtle linkage...[​IMG] It's perrty straight forward you'll be fine..

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Prolly too late, but the carb will have letters cast into the body near the fittings that will help you. Label the hoses with the corresponding letter.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

4. 77K5Blazer

All done. Went pretty smoothly! [​IMG] I am suprised, but putting it back on could be a different story! [​IMG] Take it in tomorrow to get rebuilt! I crimped the fuel line, and tore two rubber lines in half, but I will get that taken care of, and hopefully she works a lot better!! Thanks for the help!

<font color=red>1977 Blazer, GM350, SM465, NP205, Dana 44/ 12bolt, 31x10.50r15 BFGs</font color=red>

5. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Why don't you just rebuild it yourself? It really is A WHOLE LOT easier than most people think. I just rebuilt my Carter 650. I think too many people are intimidated by all the small parts, but I would suggest you rebuild it yourself if its not too late. Then that way you learn something new and can brag to people how you rebuilt it yourself!

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, its not really difficult. Its like an engine or transmission. If you look at any of them from a parts standpoint, they have a lot. But on an engine for example, each piston has 3 oil rings. One of them is comprised of 3 pieces. so each piston in a V8 has 5 pieces. Thats 40 pieces right there! Add in bolts etc., throw in an exploded parts drawing, and you have something that looks impossible to do. Carbs are the same way. You typically don't mess with the choke linkage, nor do you pull the throttle shafts out, etc. The accelerator pump is already pretty much assembled, you just unscrew a few bolts, pop out a roll pin, and go to town. They really aren't complex. Don't expect to open it up and have parts go flying all over the place : ) Heck, you can replace the Q-jet float with the carb still on the vehicle!

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

7. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Yup. And by far I would say the easiest carb to rebuild in my experience is the Holley.

8. Logan

Logan Registered Member

Not really off-topic but kinda:
    I've never had a carb apart before, but mine's coming up on a rebuild fairly soon. What's involved in swapping out the primary jets for smaller ones?

Is it worth it, gas savings wise? I'm moving out of town, and I'll soon be driving 100+ miles per day. I've already got a small beater car for commuting, but I'd like to drive the Jimmy every now and again without breaking the bank... Even a few MPG would make a huge difference. I currently get 10-14 MPG just like everyone else here.

I know... I didn't buy the thing to save gas... That's for sure... Still, I'm absolutely not interested in selling it, but I don't want to see it sit around and rust for no reason either.

-Al.

9. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I don't know if going to smaller jets would get you much better gas mileage, if any at all. You also need to make sure that you don't starve your engine.

10. 77K5Blazer

All right, picked up the carb yesterday, installed it today! Giant PITA!!! It is on, and it does run, amazingly! It looks beautiful, had several things wrong that were contributing to the engine running badly! First time I fired it up, idled at 2,000 RPM!! Got that taken care of, now I am taking it easy breaking in the new throttle shaft bushings, need to fine tune it still, but my Blazer is back on the road! I turn 16 in TWO WEEKS!!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]!! I cannot wait...later....