Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulling codes, service engine soon, blah blah

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zeus33rd, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Ok, my sis just called me and tells me the service engine soon light is on in her car. '98 taurus. Is there a way to pull the codes without a dedicated scan tool? Used to be able to do it with a paper clip....From what I've found with Google, you can't do this on OBDII (96 and up) vehicles? I sent her to Autozone, but they were closed, and she won't leave me alone untill I tell her something...lol:doah: :haha:

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You need a tool for obdII, paperclipping it won't work anymore. I got one for $80 at a parts place when my blazer was having issues, and it was worth not having to keep going back to the shop to get it reset.
    The shop guy was my buddy, but he said he normally charges people $80 to read and reset the code.

3. Zeus33rd

Hmm...That sucks.

$80 huh? Autozone does it for free. :eek1:

Anyways, I'm sure she won't have any problems taking it somewhere to have the codes pulled...She looks good enough that most dudes in places like that jump to help her when she walks in...HA!:haha: :haha: :haha:

Thanks man.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

No prob... Even if they pull the code free, it becomes a pita to keep having to go back even time you make an adjustment that should fix it, or when you have 20 problems at once...

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

pulling codes isn't nearly as useful on a OBDII car as getting the freezeframe data, which you need a good scan tool for. AutoZone will just pull the code, tell you what it is, and either let you go off on your own or try and tell you what you need. Before I knew better I had them scan my 97. They told me I needed all 4 O2 sensors. I saved and put all 4 in... didn't go away. Turned out I had 2 codes for both banks being rich from too much fuel being dumped in. They just took that mean, eh the O2 sensors aren't reading right.

I had a really good one a few days ago. A 1998 Eclipse with a Lean Fuel Trim Code. Watch the O2 sensor in the datastream, it never moved... pull a plug, its black. Damn O2 sensor WAS bad and the PCM thought it was just running really lean.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

yep obdII needs live data and freeze frame info to help pin point the problems.

i had a guy who had intake gaskets going and a known bad #2 nock sensor. i swaped the new stuff in and road tested it . was good to go . but he also said its going to the tranny shp for a bad jurking under load in 4th locked up convertor driving trip. so i drove it like grandma and normal and hard core . i finaly got it to do it. no tranny codes. but when i switched over to miss fire data wow was the count climbing up fast. turned out he had bad plugs. he swaped them him self and did wires . guess what he was his own tranny shop. no more problems after that.

the live data and freeze frame help out more than you would everthink.

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I would love to be able to get live data from my engine, that sucker gulps fuel and bucks at the top of gears sometimes, but hasn't thrown any codes since I changed the cat and valves.
    I was looking at building the circuit to link it to my laptop, but never got around to it. I can't see spending more than a couple hundred on a scan tool that I'm going to use every couple blue moon's, and at the cost of these things, I can't bring myself to ask my friend who has the shop if I can borrow his...

8. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

vatozone sells a unit by actron... about 184 bucks, perfect for home use...

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Does that give you live feed data and freeze frame?? I have the one that pulls and resets the light already, but it's basically just to save me a trip and tell me generically what might be up.

10. Confedneck79K30

it reads some sensors, its pretty basic.... it will give you some data... if you want to read codes AND get some pretty good data, snap-on and otc sell decent units, the snap-on is pretty user friendly and updateable once a year or so... but also comes in at 500 bucks...

11. Confedneck79K30

i have a code reader for personal use, i can always go online to look up what a sensor should read for a certain range, and use my multimeter to diag it...

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

What Snap-On unit are your refering to? The "Scr"-odis? I can't stand that freaking thing, like at all. The damn keys thing boggles my mind. An OTC scanner works great without ever changing "keys", yet the Modis works crappy with keys...

If I can swing it this year I am going to buy a Matco scantool(OTC Genesis in red clothes)

13. Zeus33rd

Well, it turns out that the car is pretty much a lemon. My guess is that the dealer had the codes cleared then stuck the car on the lot. Small used car lot. 4 days after my sis got the car, everything pretty much went wrong. VSS problems, trans is slipping/shuddering, rat damage to the wiring, and the mechanic she went too said there was a code that said there was exhaust gas in the coolant? If thats the case, the car also has head/head gasket problems. What a piece of shiit. Stay away from the ford taurus/mercury sables. I researched a bit and found that these are all huge problems with these cars. I wish she had told me before she bought the damn thing. Hindsight is always 20/20 I suppose.:crazy:

14. Confedneck79K30

biggest problem with an otc... it provides a ground and power circuit for the pcm... and does not perform the "lamp fault test" like a snap-on unit, and can and WILL give you false codes, they are notorious for giving false o2 sensor codes... if i were you, i would at least demo a modis with the latest software, and get the dealer to set up a training class for you and your shop with a tech man...

15. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

all this tech

it

hurts

tech in the lounge
    arrrrgh

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh we just updated to the latest software. I hate the damn thing. It was what we used mostly in school. I just do not like it overall. I don't rely on O2 sensor codes to tell me whats what with an O2 sensor anyway. Actually watch the darn things operate.

Quick example. Latest software update on our Modis, pulled in a VW. It tells me to hook up the cable to the DLC in the center console(where it was on older VWs). Its not there. Finally realize its just under the dash. Then it tells me what key to use and words it in some retarded manner. I put it, hook it up. It won't communicate. Hook up an OTC scanner, within 30 seconds we were communicating and doing what needed to be done. Why can't a Modis pull a VIN? It just seems to me, its based on OLD software and they just keep patching and updating the same old crap over and over. I mean for god sakes it still tells you to "operate the thumbwheel", when the Modis doesn't have one. Makes me believe its just a fancier looking version of the old software of the old scanner. I haven't yet found something an OTC won't do that the Modis will. At least in what I've worked on so far.

That and I was using it on a 98 Mitsu last week(our damn handheld Mitsu scanner is busted). It told me to hook up the Mitsu harness with such and such a key, but do not hook up the ABS connector(since I didn't need it to access the MFI system). I just said screw that and used the OBD-II connector. Sure enough it worked fine. Why even bother telling you to hook up the other harness but not use it?

Maybe you are right and I don't know how to operate the thing to its full potential, but it just seems very needlessly complex in this day and age, and a little outdated. Now the ability to use it as a Scope, that is a sweet option. Too bad we don't have the harness to do that with ours. That was the only thing I liked using it for in school. Heck I liked it better than the Snap-On standalone scope(forget the name off the top of my head).

17. Zeus33rd

:rolleyes:

wah

18. Confedneck79K30

the modis is a powerful tool, and by no means, am i a qualified teacher or user, but i have seen what it can do, and have used it to an extent... at the dealer i worked in, we had all sorts of fancy azz factory scan tools, but the red brick was my fave... the solus and modis rock the catbox with the windows based software (pc software does not equal tech, that help? lol)

19. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Got any Pics of said sister?

20. Zeus33rd

Ha! I wondered why it took so long for someone to ask...never thought it would be you though...Do ya even know what a girl is?:haha: