Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulling Distributer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JF 89K5, Aug 24, 2000.

1. JF 89K5

JF 89K5 Registered Member

I think(hope)I have found why my 89 blaz has been quiting, the wires from the pick-up coil to the ignition module, at the ig. mod. end the plastic harness that holds the wires together are melted.

I am tying to pull the distributer so I can replace the pick-up coil. I got the #1 piston at TDC and have marked the position of the distributer on the engine block so I know what position to put it back in at. Question is, how do I pull the distributer out?? I almost gave myself a hernia last night. Anyone know any tricks? It's a TBI, don't know if that makes a difference. Please help, I miss driving my rig!!

Thanks for any input,

JF

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

No offense, but did you take out the bolt holding the distirbutor down?

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. JF 89K5

No offense at all. Did not know there was a bolt, the Chitons made no reference to a bolt? The manual also showed pictures of a non TBI distributer, so maybe there is a diff.? Where is the bolt?

Thanks,

JF

4. Emmettology 101

There should be a bolt at the base of the Dist attached ot the intake that holds a clamp onto the distributor so it wont move out of timing. To adjust your timing you have to loosen this bolt to turn the Dist.

Looking at the Dist from the front of the truck it will be on the passenger side of the dist at the base on he intake. It is a 9/16" bolt....

Mike

5. JF 89K5

Thanks Mike,

I feel pretty stupid, but I guess thats how we learn. This should save my back and my Blaz.!!

JF

6. Emmettology 101

No problem, if you dont take the air cleaner or anything off, t is kind of hard to spot the bolt, and sometimes is not fun to tighten or loosen.

I am glad I could help!

Mike

7. hpfire7227

hpfire7227 Registered Member

On my 89 I couldn't get to the bolt with a regular box wrench because of the metal fuel lines that run right above it. I highly recommend going down to Sears and getting yourself a distributor wrench. For four bucks, it sure will save some headaches. Good luck.

10 BOLTS O' FUN

8. JF 89K5

Well I got it out, and got the new pick-up coil in and put the distrbuter back in.

I was able to get the bolt off with a short box wrench and lots of penetrating fluid. Hpfire, you are right about the dist. wrench being worthwhile, because it was a pain in the a@# how I did it.

I think I put it back in just one turn off, cause it doesn't sound too good when I stomp on the gas, engine makes some noises that it didn't before. I know the timing and plug wires are right, so I think I need to find TDC pull the dist. and line up the rotor with the #1 plug on the dist cap again. It was just a little off the first time I did it, but I guess it needs to be exactly on. I'm learning a lot though, thanks to CK5.

Thanks for everyones help,

JF

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I usually turn the motor to somewhere around #1 TDC and put scribe mark on the ditributor body where the cap goes to indicate the rotor position, and then I make another mark on the housing down where it goes into the block to indicate the timing position. That way I don't have to be exactly on TDC as long as I re-install it to my marks (and hav'nt turned the motor without the distributor in it.)
    I highly doubt you are off "one turn". The distributor will only go in 2 ways, providing the motor has'nt been turned, either its right or its 180 degrees off. There is a slot at the bottom of the distributor shaft that engages the oil pump, so if it is off one tooth it will not drop down all the way.

[​IMG]

10. JF 89K5

Thanks tRustyK5,

You are right, I think I found the problem, my distributer cap fell of the hood and I now see a BIG crack in it. Gonna pick up a new one and hope it fixes the problem.

JF

11. JF 89K5

I got the new dist. cap and it is still running poor.

The engine is making a noise under exceleration, it dies when putting it into gear and is lurching when stopped with the brakes on.

It is possible that when I took the gear off the bottom of the dist. I put it back on the shaft 180 degrees from when I took it off, if so, could this be causing these symtoms?
    Will it harm my engine by drving it like this?

Thanks,

JF

12. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

No, if it was 180 degrees out, it probably would not start (the gear on the bottom shouldn't matter either). I would put the motor on TDC on the harmonic balancer and check the relationship of the distributor rotor to the #1 sparkplug wire on the distributor (also check the firing order). It does sound like you might be a tooth off on the distributor though. I always put the motor on TDC whenever I pull the distributor, that way if there is a problem, then you can always line it up and stab it again. Did you disconnect anything else? Have you checked to see if any vacuum lines were accidentally knocked off? - Steve

Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If it is one tooth off, you should be able to re-time the distributor to verify that that is what happened. Get out the timing light and rotate the distributor until the timing is in specs (or close) if you are one tooth out the distributor will be pointed way farther one way or the other with the timing set right. If this is the case you should pull the distributor and reset it.
    I've done the 180 degree thing and all I got was a huge backfire without the engine starting.

[​IMG]

14. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One other point here. If your dropping the distributer back in and you think it's all lined up and it still doesn't drop your hitting the oil pump shaft. Take a long flat head screwdriver and insert down the shaft hole and turn the oil pump until its back a few degrees from where it should end up. You may have to look down there with a flash light as you do this. Hope that helps.

15. JF 89K5

Thanks for all the reply's,

Turns out I was like 1 or 2 teeth off on the dist. gear. After lifting it and turning it a lot, it finally dropped in to line up w/ my #1 on TDC.

Now I just need to time it right, I have it at 6 deg. right now and it's close, does anyone know where it should be for an '89 TBI?

JF

16. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

On your '89 TBI motor, you have to disconnect a wire that disables the electronic advance control. The location of the connector will be on the emissions label under the hood. Then you set the timing to 0 deg.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

17. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Hey JF, how hard was it to replace the pickup coil and how did you go about measuring the air gap -- or did you?? Did you need a special tool??

18. JF 89K5

Thanks Tim, I will adjust my timing tonite to Zero.

Hey Smack, I do not know anything about an air gap, and it did not mention it in the Haynes manual. Are we talking about the same thing? What I replace was a donut shaped thing located under the distributor with 2 wires coming out of it that plugged into the ignition module.

It was harder to replace than I thought b/c I have never pulled the distributer before. On my 89 you have to pull out the dist. then put it in a vice and punch out a pin in the shaft of the dist., then pull out the shaft and replace the coil(basically). I would DEFINATELY recommend using a manual for your vehicle when doing this.

JF