Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pulling doors off is easy. putting them on is hard

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Jun 7, 2005.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

the title says it. today, i did a modified version of the process in nick reynold's article. i just ground and drilled the factory hinge pins instead of getting new ones. pulling the doors off is easy, but sticking them back on is tough. the weight of the door isn't a problem, but lining up the hinges properly is a real pain. i was thinking of sticking a bracket or track or something (not certain what something just yet) to help guide it into place. i know a lot of you have done this mod. so, have you come up with a simple effective way to easily put it all back together?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i just sold mine and used tube doors... makes things much easier. :grin:

j

3. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

I took doors off a 88 K5 and my 95 silverado in the same day. The K5 doors were just enough to feel some strain. My 95 doors about knocked my 250lbs body to the ground!

Took 2 people, and many zip ties to get the spring back in. I miss being doorless :(

4. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

thankfully, i've never had to pull my 94 silverado doors off. but, after my friend's wreck in his '96 cheyenne, i just chopped the door off a few inches from the hinges, then chopped the pins. reciprocating saws are fun. but putting the new door on was no picnic.