Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulling engine. What is best...with out trans, with trans, etc

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Jul 17, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I have cleard everything in engine compartment. It is a 350 with a 4speed manual to transfer case. Should I just unbolt clutch/flywheel from tranni and pluck out? Is that even possible? Or should I go through the hassle of pulling the trans completely. Do I even need to pull the clutch or can I just pull the fork, and it will slide out? Sorry, its been about 18years since i've worked with clutches and manuals.

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

If you take the radiator, grill, anything in that area out, it will be alot easier to remove th tranny attached to the engine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Watch you don't hit the distibutor, but thats probably something you already know /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just unbolt the transmission from the engine and pull it. I've messed with the engine/tranny/case all in one piece, and trust me, you don't want to bark up that tree.

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

between the trans and engine is the clutch/flywheel..do i leave that part attached to engine? I figured I could just separate trans from clutch assembly?

Thanks for the help so far.

5. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

You take the bolts out of the trans and the clutch stays in the bellhousing.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No. You un bolt the bellhousing from the engine and the clutch comes out with the engine.

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    No. You un bolt the bellhousing from the engine and the clutch comes out with the engine.

[/ QUOTE ]

cool thats what i did. Great to have help on days like this /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

One more VERY stupid question...where do i bolt on the leveler onto the engine block? On the heads? or intake?

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

There is nothing on the flywheel or clutch to unbolt. The only thing that needs to be done is to undo the clutch fork actuator rod. You will see it located outside of the bellhousing attached to the clutch fork. Also You need to undo the other end attached to the ballsocket located just above the oilfilter. The flywheel is bolted to the back of the crank and the clutch an pressure plate are bolted to the flywheel so it will all come out with the engine. Sometimes getting the engine seperated from the engine can be a pain due to the trannys input shaft binding up on the clutch splines. Just get the motor mounts separated and use a prybar to separate the bellhousing from the block.

9. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

One more VERY stupid question...where do i bolt on the leveler onto the engine block? On the heads? or intake? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

hey! thats not a stupid questiuon, I was going to ask that when I get ready to pull my 350

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I always use the accessory holes. I never use an engine leveler though, just a chain. I use a bolt through the chain to keep it from sliding all over.

12. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Well the engine is out. I used the intake bolts at each corner. Had a couple of problems, first the clutch linkage was hitting the header on the right side. I pulled the passenger side header out, but could not get the drivers side out from below or above. Then the flywheel was a bit stuck on engine support. Then the chain was a bit too long so the hoist could not clear the front. After fumbling with chains and hoist for a bit, I managed to get it out...geez.

Thanks for the help today everyone /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif