Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pulling engine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sjeccles, Jun 27, 2001.

1. sjeccles

sjeccles Registered Member

I have a 90 jimmy with a 350 and 4 speed manual transmission. My question is how is the best way to pull the motor with the tranny attached or leave the trannyin the truck with the t-case? Any tips would be helpful
    Thanks

90 K5 jimmy

2. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

I'd say pull the engine by itself.
    Lots of wheight and length pulling the motor,trans and tcase.

Bill Innes
    88' Jimmy

Built for <font color=blue>Function</font color=blue> <font color=red>NOT</font color=red> <font color=blue>Fashion</font color=blue>

3. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

I won't pull a granny 4 speed tranny in less i absolutely HAVE to. They are too damn heavy to mess with if you doin't have too. Of course, i have no one to help, so i have to do everything by myself. My boy is not near old enough to help yet. but in just a few more years......!

baldbandit

"Have you driven over a F@RD lately!!

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, definately pull the motor alone. You'll end up having to either pull the nose off to come straight out, or lift it way up high to tilt all that length. And, yeah, the weight on that whole assembly would be nuts!

Ratch
    **<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A> What more is there to life?**

5. sjeccles

Ok I have a couple more question
    1. is it hard to line the splines back up when put the motor back in?

2. were is the best place to seperate the tranny from the motor? at the bellhousing or between the bellhousing and the tranny?
    Thanks

90 K5 jimmy

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Are you just putting in a new engine?

I've never done a granny low manual, in fact, as far as I can remember I've only put 1 motor in a vehicle with a manual tranny. I would think pulling motor and tranny would be a better idea. As for seperating it at the bellhousing, are the bolts on the outside to do that? Once again, never worked with an SM 465.

I am not with the crowd here. I know it's heavy but I'd disconnect the transfer case and pull motor/tranny in one piece. That's my favorite way to do it when both have to be out.

When I installed my motor it was very easy to line it up. I had one guy run the hoist, one run the chain swinging the motor if necessary and watching the whole thing, and I was under, guiding the oil pan around to line up the tranny. Then I dropped the motor in the mounts and it was good to go.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

You really should pull the engine by itself. Take it off at the tranny as you need to pull the tranny input shaft out of the clutch with the manual. While you have it out you will probably want to check the clutch and flywheel. Pull the bellhousing, the clutch pressure plate and then you can check to see if you need to resurface the flywheel or replace the clutch. I have an old input shaft out of a junk transmission that I put through the clutch plate to line up the clutch plate with the pilot bushing. This saves allot of time when reinstalling the motor. The clutch plate is already lined up so your splines slide right into place. Hope this helps!!

k5woody I Don't Understand The Jeep Thing Either!!!

8. sjeccles

I'm pulling the engine because I want to install the performer cam and intake for my TBI 350. And was going to replace the bearings, rings , oil pump and valve seals just to be safe. I will proable put a new clutch in while it's out also

90 K5 jimmy

9. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have this combo on my 83. I speak from experience, ONLY pull the engine by itself. The secret, like said before, line up the pressure plate with a clutch alignment tool. Also leave the tranny in gear, it will let you spin the output shaft to make the splines line up easier when reinstalling.

'83 GMC Jimmy 4x4 ZZ4 Crate Motor
    '83 Chevy P/U 4x4 Sand Drag Racer, 578 RWHP
    '94 Impala SS
    '01 Chevy 2500HD w/8.1L & Allison Auto

10. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

pull the engine alone....leaving the bellhousing on the tranny...i did that so i didnt have to touch my hydraulic clutch components.....its relatively easy to put back in...just make sure you have your motor level with the tranny and it should slide right on....well i've had problems with the motor mounts being in the way, but you'll figure out what works best real quick.
    good luck
    adam h

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I usually jack the tranny up so I can drop the engine in at somewhat of an angle, bolt them together, and then drop it straight down into the motor mounts.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles