Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulling engine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBadJap, Jul 21, 2003.

1. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Well, I'm pulling the old engine this week and I was wondering if I _have_ to remove the hood in order to do this or is just more of problem when replacing the motor? (The engine bay is pretty much empty, no accessories, a/c, radiators)

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Take the hood off, it only takes a few minutes.

3. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

I was afraid you'd say that. I get the feeling this won't be an easy one man job.

(Good help is hard to find)

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

pull the hood or the core support..either way it makes life A LOT easier..

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Pull the hood! It took me no longer than 3 minutes. Very very easy. But I also took the front clip out, which was kind of difficult, but wort it. Either way, you must take the hood off. Oh, and you are doing it yourself?? I think your gonna need at least two people. Sometimes when you have everything unhooked, and are trying to separate the motor and tranny, you need a couple people to fanagle it just right. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    -Harrison

6. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I did mine without removing the hood. I chained the axle to the frame so the ytruch wouldn't raise when the engine was lifted. I have no lift and had pulled the oil pan off before pulled the motor. But the crate motor went in with the oil pan on. Heres some pic's. Sorry 'bout the quality, my camera sux.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifIs that A claw/framing hammer I see sittin' on the core support!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifMan what are you doin' that things for drivin' nails not loosening/tightening bolts man!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifBut seriously a good ol' ball peen hammer is much better for BANGIN' on stuff!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifLMAO /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Sho' 'nuff!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I don't remember what I was using it for, but somethin' needed some bangin'! Strange, I have a shitload of tools, but I don't have a ball peen hammer. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif So, yeah, I had to use what I had on hand. Next trip to the tool store, I'll be sure to pick one up tho'. Can never have enough tools. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif