Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulling Engine ????!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CaveBlazin, Jul 29, 2003.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok Im pulling my engine REALLY soon and want to know of the Safe ways of using the cherry picker. What I mean is should I lower the truck by taking the front tires off and then pull the engine. I dont thing the picker will pull the engine with the 6" lift on it. If you have better suggestions please post away /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Cut the middle of your core support out /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif J/K

i dunno, since its really not that hard to remove the front clip. That might be the way i do it next time just so i dont have to climb back in the engine compartment everytime i drop a tool on the ground. Much easier when putting it back in too.

3. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

It's not too hard. Just lift it out with the picker. I've got 6" lift with 36" tires and had no problems.
    [​IMG]

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I did it on a stock truck with the front clip on and it was tough! It took alot of wrenching around and fiddling to get it in there and also, we had a load leveler, without at, you'd need some mighty large arms. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I say take the front clip off and spare your muscles from days of aching. Also, with the 6" lift I don't know if your lift would take it high enough....

5. CaveBlazin

Slimlynn was your picker a special kind, the one I will be using is not that big well at least I dont think it is..

6. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

It is just a picker I picked up at Pep Boys. I think it holds 4000 Lbs. I put the arm all the way out to give me extra height. I also used a very short chain to attach to the engine.

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If you just pull the front sheetmetal clip off of the truck you will probably save more time and headaches /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You may also find more things that need to be fixed if your truck has any rust problems /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif I have pulled motors both with and without the front sheetmetal on and will go back to pulling the sheetmetal every time now on older trucks with little wiring.

8. CaveBlazin

Kenny Please explain sheet metal clip. This sounds interesting Im not sure what your saying...

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The front fenders, core support and grill assembly can come off all at once. About 10-15 bolts all together hold it on. 2 bolts between core support and frame, then 4 or 5 bolts between fenders and cab. 2 people can lift if off very quick allowing 3 easy sides to reach your motor and all bolts/wiring.

10. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to just pull the core support and radiator, but leave the fenders still attached? Would it even be worth it?

Kris

11. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i guess you could, but why? its so simple to take the fenders off, and it makes things easier. plus you wont get greased hand prints on your fenders, or you wont scratch them on accident. (not like it matters on my rig but hey!)