Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulling engine

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kerwinq, Mar 12, 2004.

1. kerwinq

kerwinq Registered Member

I am pulling the engine out of the 75 4x4 this weekend, what is the best way to do this. Pull the engine and trans together or pull the engine seperate. I have not done this in a 4X4 so not sure. The truck will be sitting without an engine for a short time so do I need to support the trans or tc until I re-install?

Thanks for the help, Kerwin

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

if you are pulling just the engine, then just ull the engine. its more trouble puttingthem back in together. i normallay have a jack under the tranny pan to keep it from falling to far

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Might to easier to pull both since you can leave the t-case on it's mount. I would take off the front clip first...makes it much easier, and it doesn't take that long...

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

If you leave the trans in the truck you need to support it. If it will be a while you might want to rig a brace for the front of the trans. I cut a piece of wood and set it across the frame rails then drilled a couple of holes in it to match the trans case. It does a good job of holding the trans up and I can push the truck around if I need the space.