Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulling gauge panel out? It wont come out!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dasanii19, Dec 10, 2006.

1. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

How do you take the gauge panel out of a 76' blazer? I took all the screws out but I dont see how it can slide out of the dash?

Do I need to disconnect the speedometer before I pull the panel out or can I disconnect it after I pull the panel out? same with the oil temp?

I want to paint this stuff so I get more reflection on my gauges at night.

2. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

also, has anyone painted the orange hands on their gauges? Id like to make them look a littler nicer, they are faded..

Is it worth it to pull the whole back of the gauge cluster out to paint? It seems like its going to be a pain to get out and put back in. Is it really worth it? Or will I be happy with just painting the cover?

3. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

you do need to disconnect the speedo from the back of the guages to get the guage set out - at least you do in my '83. there's a little lever/push thing and then it pulls out. it's a pain to access it, and do it right, but once you get that little lever deal figured out, it's a really smooth process. pulling the whole guage set is pretty easy - you're in there anyway, may as well make sure that you get iti all painted so that you know when you put it back together you can be sure to be happy with it.

4. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

whats abuot the oil temp gauge? that doesnt seem to just pull right out like the other gauges, do I need to disconnect that from the back as well?

So the speedometer just clips in, I dont need to un screw it?

5. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Ok, I just went out there, I do feel that lever then your talking about, so I just depress it and pull? I tried a little but it seems pretty snug in there, man this is gonna be real fun to put back on. I do have to put it back on the way I got it off right? meaning under the dash?

6. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Got the speedometer :D

Now the oil gauge has two nuts, one small and one large, which do I take loose to pull it off?

7. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

ahhhh much better

[​IMG]

There is a damn crack on one of the screw mounts, should I just use super glue?

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah super glue will work fine.
    So you figured it out huh?
    :D

9. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

I got overspray on the black face part, so be careful or buy some black fusion while you're paint shopping. It''s probably a good idea to get the black anyways, it makes the dash look like new.:waytogo:

10. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

LOL, yea I got it. Pulling it out was the hardest, it was so tight in there. Im worried about putting it back in, I dont want to break the plastic after Ive gone through all the work of painting it and what not..

Thanks for all the help guys, im sure this will be a great mod!! :D :D

11. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i was able to flex the metal part of the dash to allow a bigger hole to get the guage set back in. do you have a mechanical oil pressure guage? perhaps that's why you had a harder time than i - 83 had electric. :)