Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulling my 14ff Carrier out, *New question about welding gov-lok*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, Nov 29, 2004.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

*New question at bottom of post*

Gonna pull the carrier out and weld the gov-lok into a spool, what kind of things might I run into? I know about pulling the shafts and all the basics, but have never pulled the carrier out before so don't know if there are any tricks. I know you also have to mark the adjusters or something on the carrier bearings /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Is that what they are?

And once I get it out how hard is it to get the case open? Do you have to be so particular that the ring gear bolts are put back in the exact holes and things like that? Should I lok-tite the bolts when I put it back together?

Thanx /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Re: Pulling my 14ff Carrier out, things to remember?

Check the backlash. When you put it back in,just set the backlash to whatever it was before you pulled it. Also, dont forget to put preload on the carrier bearings, but not too much.
    To get the case open you have to take off the ring gear and then theres 2 screw thathold the gov loc together. The bolts dont care where they go, just put loc tite on them. Hope that helped! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

You can mark the adjusting collars and put them back where they were. Count the number of turns you have to turn them to get the carrier out and go back to the same place. Still probably a good idea to check the backlash as stated previously but I've cheated and done it this way without checking and the axle is still living. That was many moons ago.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

One thing I fergot to add is that you'll have to turn the left adujster all the way out (to the left)to get the ring gear to clear the pinion support bearing housing. Does that make sense? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

My plan is to put it back together using the "cheater" method /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I am sure it will make sense once I rip into it. I have read most the other posts on this, just wanted to check to see if there are any surprises /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Ok, so the gov-lok is out /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

However I am looking at it trying to figure out how I am gonna weld it. Those of you who have done this how did you do it? I assume you want to weld the spiders together a little bit while its in the case half so that it will all fit back in....but not sure how to go about it. Also not sure how the side gears and spiders come out /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Anyone?

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

look for jjlaughner, hes the only guy I've seen do it

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Well I figured out how it comes apart. So I guess I will weld the spider gears and side gear altogehter. Would there be any reason not to weld everything to the carrier as well? I want it to be as strong as possible.

I also was thinking or using some carb dip stuff to help clean the diff parts before welding, any reason not to?

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I think the only reason guys don't weld it to the carrier is so that they can reuse the carrier and get new spiders and side gears if they want. But yes I think that welding it to the carrier would make it stronger just a whole lot less reusable.

10. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think the only reason guys don't weld it to the carrier is so that they can reuse the carrier and get new spiders and side gears if they want. But yes I think that welding it to the carrier would make it stronger just a whole lot less reusable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since it is the gov-lok carrier I am not too worried about reusing it in the future. Although my luck they will come out with a Detroit for the Gov-Lok carrier once I do it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I am interested in this procedure. Maybe you could take some pic's and post up for us? I would appreciated it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've done it. Take the governor out and throw it away. Make a Jethro locker out of the rest of it (weld the spiders into a mini spool by tacking them in the case, then removing them and welding them together in about 16 different places.

Place Jethro locker inside the carrier, stack the clutches on top of it to take up the extra space, and bolt it back together.

When I take them apart I mark them, go two turns, and take the carrier out.

13. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

What do you think about welding it to the carrier as well? Overkill or ??? I don't want to be messing with this again for a long time.

So far I haven't made any progress, have to get my lazy a$$ to the parts store to get brake cleaner and some other items.