Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pulling out a pinion gear Help!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Redfrog, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

here's the deal I am replacing the inner axle seals in a D44, I got everthing cleaned out, knocked the seals out and then I got to looking in the pumpkin and there is paint(i'm assuming that's what it is) flaking off from the brake cleaner I used to clean it out with, of corse it is falling around the pinon bearing.
    I figure I had better pull the gear out and clean the rest of the crap out so I don't fry the bearings,

I have never pulled a pinion out, Do I need to worry about screwing up anything like lash,preload, All you need to do is count the threads on the pinion and replace it the same way ????

I am I way off is there a easier way? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Doesn't a Dana 44 have a solid pinion bearing spacer? If so, all you'd need to do is torque the nut to spec when you're done.

3. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I have no idea If so that would rock

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

but do you not need a new crush sleave in there after you torque it once , you need a new one to keep the barings properly spaced. at least this is what we do with my bosses gtos.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Dana has shims to set the preload. When you take it out just make sure you have all the shims, when you reinstall it, just tighten it up. To take it out, use a brass punch and hammer. Youll also need a new pinion seal if you take out the outer pinion bearing.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    but do you not need a new crush sleave in there after you torque it once , you need a new one to keep the barings properly spaced. at least this is what we do with my bosses gtos.

[/ QUOTE ]

GM axles use crush sleeves.

Danas, from what I understand, generally, do not.

7. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

excellent, thanks for the info, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif after I read your post I pulled it out and of course one of the small shims is toast /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I think I could probably slide it in the middle of the pack but I know I should not so I guess I'm going to learn how to set up a axle

8. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

You don't have to set up a new axle, just get a new shim the same thickness of the one you boogered up, or better yet, measure the whole pack of shims and get a new stack the same thickness as the old one. No need to set up your diff all over again.

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I'd be surprised if there was paint inside the axle housing. It could be some baked on crud from the old gear oil. Best to clean all of it out.