Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pulling out the tranny

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by matto, Dec 16, 2005.

1. matto

matto Registered Member

i am going to be taking out the transmission on my 80 k5 this weekend cause the tq is shot. i guess i did one to many burn outs with the little winter tires on it:rolleyes: lol. any way anything i should look out for. its a th-350 with a np-208

matt

2. matto

matto Registered Member

any advice guys?

3. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

the only advise i can give you is to have some friends help you put it back in if you dont have a lift or somthing...also your np208 is a slip yoke so it is easier to undo the u-joint at the pinion and just slide the whole driveshaft out rather than trying to take out any of the u-joints...just watch out for the fluid in the t-case and make sure you fill that sucker back up when you put it back in (may be a good time to change it anyway) and be careful the the torque converter doesnt fall out at you when you are lifting the tranny back un into the truck....make sure you put some fluid in the TC before you put it on the tranny...and like i said have some friends help you especially if your truck is lifted at all...hope this helps...any other questions just ask and i will try to help the best i can

4. aaron4904

aaron4904 Newbie

dont forget to support the back of the engine. When you pull the tranny the engine will tilt back and the distributor will hit the firewall. especially if you have wore out motor mounts.:wink1:

5. matto

matto Registered Member

thanks guys, sofare it has gone good the tranny should be out today or tomorrow

matt

6. s1037s

s1037s Registered Member

check the tranny mount while its out. Imissed one one time. sucked. very bad. broke tranny.

7. sebban

sebban Registered Member

I just pulled mine sunday, have some support when you take it out, because the tranny is heavy. I put a jack under mine, helps alot. then you can slide it back, and then lower it.
    The transfer case you can easily do by yourself but the tranny is too heavy.
    PS, dont forget to remove all the cables, wires and shift mechanisms. ;)