Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulling plug wires to check for bad plugs...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lotsa_Faith, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

I'm doing this one by one to each of the plugs while the engine is running to check for bad plugs. I noticed on the front right (dunno the numbers) plug wire, when I pulled it I could hear the charge from the plug. Isn't it supposed to be consistent? like instead of giong c-c-c its going c-cc-c-c-c-cc-c-c (I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say). Also, whats teh firing order of a 350? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The firing order of chevy v-8s are:
    1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

If your looking at the front of the engine,
    The right side, the first cylinder is #1, then going back 3,5,7.
    On the left side it is 2,4,6,8 from front to back.

Your doing a "cylinder drop test"
    when you disconnect a spark plug wire you should see the engine rpm drop slightly and the engine should run a little more rough. then when you hook the spark plug wire back up it fixes it. that is telling you that everything is fine with that cylinder as far as it firing.
    If you come across a cylinder and you disconnect and reconnect the spark plug wire and nothing happens... no change....
    then that cylinder isn't getting spark or something.
    then you should check the resistance of that spark plug wire with an ohm meter compared to the other spark plug wires.

If you hear a popping coming outta a spark plug, its probally backed its self out a little. Make sure all the spark plugs aren't loose.

my 2 cents.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

It was the choke actually...its pretty worn out and the linkage has lots of play in it, so I wired it open...works fine. Motor mounts are next.

4. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I love the avatar, hope the fire didn't happen though.

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Fix the problem, not the symptom. What kinda choke is it, electric, heat, or divorced? Electric will have a wire going to heat, heat will have a tube running to the intake, and divorced will have a little rod running down to a metal box atop the intake.

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

actually, last sunday some of the nor cal big dawgs went to hollister for a day of wheelin.
    my tranny puked some oil that caught on fire and my engine and air filter caught on fire also. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    two fire extinguishers, an air filter, and a quart of ATF later i'm back on the trail.
    so thats what inspired the avitar... thats a picture of where it happened. you can see 2 fire extinguishers in the avitar pic. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif