Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulling seized motor. Cant get torque converter bolts out what do i do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Oct 12, 2004.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Trying to pull a 350 but its seized and i cant get to TC bolts. Do i just pull the TC with the motor? Just carefully so as not to mess up the input shaft or the tc? Or is there another way to do it?

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

or you can pull the motor tranny all in one, might be better than takin the chance of messin up your tranny

3. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

outside of pulling the tranny w/ the motor, the only thing i can think is to remove the rad, grill and any other front clip parts in the way and pull it out straight forward...

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

your options are stated above save, atf and trying to get it unseized /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had to do this once. The first engine in my k5 threw a rod, gernaded the camshaft, and seized on the freeway about 2 hours south of here. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    When i got it home i had to use the cherry picker to lift up the engine, pull the oil pan, then unbolt all the mains and drop the crankshaft down enough to un-seize the engine and take out the broken parts so we could spin over the engine to get the last converter bolt out. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Yah the easiest way would probably to do what you are thinking.. strip down the front of the engine and maybe take out the radiator to get enough clearance. Support the tranny and then pull the engine out sliding it forewards and the torque converter off the tranny input shaft. it shouldn't need more than like 3". Then once the engine is out you can get the converter off.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have pulled at siezed motor with the converter still atached, just make sure that you support the tranny with jack or something.

i always remove the radiator when pulling a motor. i didn;t have to take the core support. once the converter clears the bellhousing i spun the motor sideways and got it out, i was too lazy to remove the water pump. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

I had this problem. I removed everything off the front of the engine, pulled the radiator out, and put a jack under the tranny. Just go nice and easy, don't rush it. I had two other guys to help. One to keep an eye from below, one to help me on top with the hoist and such. It would've been easier during the day. Good luck!

8. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

So it sounds like i can do it with the converter still on(ive done more than a couple motor swaps so i know to support the tranie and keep the trany input and torque converter alined like they should be) Cool cool. I just orderd my motor/trany adapter today for the 500 i'll be putin in man i cant wait. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've pulled several siezed engines out of GM trucks,as the others said,all you need is a little more room up front--all the ones I pulled I just took out the radiator,didnt need to strip the front of the motor down,but different years may be a different story.I suggest you buy at least 2 bags of speedi-dry or cat litter for this job--your going to need it--a lot of dextron in that coverter,and you will have to hook your engine hoist nearer to the front of the motor,so after you pull it back enough to disengage the converter it will lift the front of the motor up,reducing the amount of clearance needed in the front.I've tried pulling the tranny with the engine on a 4x4 before,its not easy--the tailshaft splines arent always easy to get out of the adapter(on one truck I cracked the tailshaft on a nice TH350! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif)and you have a hard time extracting both together out from the engine bay--Its easier to just pull the engine and converter,and sweep up the resulting mess,in my opinion.Some folks take the nose right off,its only about ten bolts,but I never have,too hard to lift it off alone!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif