Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulling the diff

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieRed, Dec 31, 2002.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

I just blew up my 12b diff and just can't seem to pull it out. I know that sounds stupid- but I've pulled open diff's and axle shafts before, but this is an LSD- and i can't find the c-clips. what do i need to look for? I really need it out of there so i can scrap and sell everything to give me enough money for the 14ff i'll be throwin under there.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

What kind of limited slip? To get the c-clips out of a gov-loc, you have to remove the pinion shaft, then remove the block in the center of the diff. Then you can push in the axle shafts and remove the c-clips. (Actually, they usually fall off as soon as you push the axles in!) /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Have you removed the center pin, wheels, drums, and pushed the axles inwards so that you can get the C clips out of their recess?
    There should be 2 windows on both sides of the carrier where you can fish out the C clips.
    Hope that helps.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You posted while I was writing my respinse, you beat me to him /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. BowtieRed

alright, that pinion shaft does NOT want to come out. i've laid under there with a breaker bar literally benchpressing it up and it just gives so much. it will more a good 60 degrees before it getting real tough, then it won't budge. But if that's what i gotta do. . .

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Did you remove the pin that secures the pinion shaft?
    The shaft won't come out without removing the pin.
    or in the 12bolt it's a bolt.

7. BowtieRed

i think that's the bolt i'm trying to turn. it's a huge nut though, 1 1/8 i think. . . not fun!

8. HarryH3

That big-a$$ nut sounds like the one on the end of the pinion gear, that holds the yoke on. You don't need to mess with that one to get the axles out. Inside the diff, the spider gears ride on a pinion shaft. It goes right though the middle of the differential. It's held in place with a tiny bolt/pin that screws in near the edge of the differential, paralell to the axle shafts. It's probably got a 5/16's head. It should be at least an inch or so long when you remove it, and have a smooth, rounded end. If it's shorter and the end is jagged, then it means that the pin has broken off inside the pinion shaft. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Then things get really ugly... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If the bolt/pin comes out intact, then you can push on the end of the pinion shaft and work it out of the diff. Then get the center block out of the way (if your particular diff has one) and push the axle shafts in. Then you'll finally be able to see the C-clips. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BowtieRed

the one actually ON the carrier? and looks like it holds two halves of the carrier together. . .that one?

10. HarryH3

Yep. It should line up with the shiny steel shaft that's running right through the center of the carrier. The head on the bolt looks absolutely puny compared to all the other bolts inside the diff. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. BowtieRed

ok, i just woke up, i'll let you know how it goes in about 10 minutes. . *crosses finers. . .prays* i think this will work *knocks on wood*

12. BowtieRed

ok, it all came out fine. . . now. . anybody wanna buy some 4.88 gears (6 month old) to a 12bolt? or two axle shafts? or a 12b housing? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. HarryH3

Sweet! Glad to hear that you finally got it apart! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Now you should fill out your profile so folks know where you are and what you drive. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif You might find that some of the folks on here are your neighbors. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif