Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulling the motor in a week

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by akbound, Feb 14, 2005.

1. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

I bought this today: [​IMG]
    Grip Engine Cradle — 1000lb. Capacity
    Item# 158857
    Discount Price $34.99

so that I can get the motor to the rebuilder. I will be removing it at the base's Auto Hobby Shop with the assistance of a couple of friends. I am getting it rebuilt with 9:1 compression and a mild cam. Was told it would be ~300 hp, but anything is better than its current, very tired state--235,000 miles. It won't even rev past 4000 rpm.

Now for my question: What do I pull out with the motor? My chassis manual says to unbolt the transmission from the bellhousing, but I think I remember someone on here saying to take the engine with the xmission. Which way is the easiest for lining it back up on reinstall?

Any other helpful hints will be appreciated, since I haven't pulled a motor in about 10 years.

Thanks!!

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had an engine dolly like yours. I took the wheels off of it and bolted into the bed one of my pick-up trucks, in order to haul engines around. It is nice to be able to pull an engine out with tranny and all, but it is not always doable. The vehicle has to be pretty high up off the ground for the trans to clear the firewall, and the engine hoist has to be able to lift the engine and trans real high up off the ground, in order to clear the radiator support.

Your best bet is to remove the transmission first, and then the engine. Make damn sure you do not let the torque converter get pulled out of the trans when your are separating the trans from the engine, unless you intend to rebuild the transmission.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

tranny in truck. then put floor jack under pan and lift to line up again.

4. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

1-ton: TNX for the info. I won't have to worry about a torque converter since I have a SM465. :laugh:

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The SM-465 is also shorter than an auto, so it would make it easier to pull both out at the same time. The only problem is that the 465 weighs close to 200 Lbs. The engine hoist will have to have a somewhat high load capacity to handle both the trans and the engine at the same time.