Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulling the pinion off of a 14ff

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Jul 9, 2000.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am also pulling the pinion and carrier...does anyone know what the bolts are for that are locared around the pinion flange? I cant tell what these do and If I need to take them out or not for the overhaul. Of course chiltons and hayes are no help.
    Thanks
    Brent

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Those bolts attach the pinion to the housing. The pinion is a contained assembly (the crush sleeve, yoke, etc... are all together). To pull the pinion, loosen the bolts on the pinion flange. Pay close attention to how it came off and the number of shims also, it goes on a specific way and if you put it on wrong the bolts won't line up.

BIGJ

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Do I just need to take off the pinion nut or do I have to take off all of the bolts surrounding the yoke?

4. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

That really depends on what kind of overhaul you are going to do. There is a bearing in the pinion assembly and you have to remove the whole thing from the axle housing to replace it. There is also a pinion support bearing inside the axle housing. The pinion also has to be removed to replace it. If you take the pinion apart the crush sleeve will have to be re-set. This requires a really big vise and a LARGE wrench or breaker bar to crush it, not to mention an inch-pound torque wrench to measure the amount of drag on the pinion. The bearing inside the pinion should be replaced by someone farmiliar with setting up ring and pinions. I tried to replace the yoke on my 14 bolt and was told that even though the crush sleeve had ben set when my gears were done, it would need to be re-set because it will expand back out when you loosen the nut on the pinion. Unless you suspect damage of some kind I would not touch the stuff in the housing. You will need a press to put on the bearings on the carrier, and unless you remember exactly how many turns you turned the adjusters when you took the carrier out, that too might have to be re-set to get the best pattern on the gears. A quarter turn on each one makes a big difference on the pattern. You may be able to remove it by just loosening the adjusters just a litte and prying the carrier out with a pry bar. I had to get new gears so I loosened them alot. If you do decide to take the carrier out MARK EACH CAP for left and right. They do not need to be switched. I went through all of this on my own axle when I swapped my 14 bolt in a couple of weeks ago so I feel your pain. I had a friend set up the gears. If you want to tackle this yourself, there are service manuals that cover ring and pinion installs. I got mine from helm publications. It covers every axle made by or used by chevy in their trucks.

BIGJ

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I got the pinion section out, it was painless. The bearings are fine but it has 3.73's in it now and I plan on upgrading to 4.88's so I want to do as much of the labor as I can then give it to the axel shop so they dont steal all of my $. Where are the adjusters? I didnt notice them. I am ready to pull the carrier but I cant get it out.
    Thanks you are a big help!
    Brent

6. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The adjusters are on each side, mark each one with a scratch or something, what I did was insert a small screw driver into a hole of the adjusting nut and turned it two complete times on each side - down on the right side and up on the left. You might have to pry on the carrier a little to get it out.
    [​IMG]

Steve
    I just happen to be doing an article on a Detroit locker install, thats why I have the pic. [​IMG]

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Can you forward a copy of that article to me? Also thank you for the help, my fore arms are so sore from tearing this thing down I m going to call it a night...
    Brent

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Well, its done..its bare! I couldnt just let it sit there, sore or not. Thanks for your help. I was going to take pictures and post the whole thing on my website but when I told my wife I was going to take pictures of an old greasy axel in 50 pieces she made fun of me:-(