Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pulling the windows in a 86 K5???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Capnscoop, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Capnscoop

Capnscoop Registered Member

how can i pull the windows out of the truck??? im taking them out before it goes to the paint shop.... ive read that the seals are reusable is this true??? they still look good but when i tuch them my fingers turn black(time to replace i assume???) should i pull the top and paint it seperate?? thanks

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Are you talking about ALL of the windows?

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if you ever plan on pulling the top off you need to remove it to paint it and the k5 body correctly. as leaving it on will make it all 1 paint job and no gap. when you do remove it you chance breaking the paint off the body.

get new top to body gasket and also dont forget the 2 back underside bolts that are hidden.

as for the rubber seals if there is a little strip in the middle of the gasket on the outside pull it. then use soapy water to lube the gasket and glass . also take a flat tool or hard thin platic object and run it along the gasket and glass to break the seal that formed over the years. then start at a corner and work your way out of the gasket from the inside out. go slow and it will come out. the warmer the gasket the better it will move.

rubbing alcohol will clean the rubber gasket to totaly tell if it needs replacement from dry rotting.

4. Capnscoop

i would like to do all if the door windows are not to hard.

5. sweetk30

the more you pull out the better the paint work will look and the less taping off needed. also the rubbers and window seals wont get paint on them. if you have done all this work on the body to skip this last bit then thats up to you.

6. Capnscoop

how would i pull the door window??? im going to be replacing most of those rubber seals due to cracking...

7. sweetk30

pull inner door panel and remove regulator assembly then the glass will tip and beable to come out .

8. Capnscoop

i plan on pulling the windows tomarrow... when i pull the reg. the window will tip and come out from the top???? so on the main windows pull the trim out soap them up and seperate the seal from the window??? so i push from the inside of the car??? ive done old vw window seals and im guessing they are simmular 2 what you have said??? thanks:bow:

9. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Wow I'm painting my '86 k5 too. hahaha.