Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulling to right

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FL84K5, Feb 24, 2002.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

I have an 84 Blazer. When ever I hit small bumps like ruts in our driveway, the truck pulls to the right. It also pulls to the right whenever braking. I have 33s and no lift. What in the front end could be causing the pulling when hitting bumps and what coudl be causing it to pull when braking? Thanks

1984 K5 Blazer w/ 33" BFG All Terrains, 305, auto, no lift. 4" lift and 350 coming soon.

2. Stomp

Stomp 1/2 ton status

Check your Tie Rod's. They might be worn and need to be repalced

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/custar/index.html>My truck</a>

3. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

This might also be your rear axle moving out of alignment as it goes over the bump. Check your spring bushings, u-bolts and spring mounting bolts. I had this happen years ago and I almost rebuilt the entire front end before someone told me about this. I had a broken spring bolt that allowed rear axle to move back when a large bump was hit. Would cause axle to steer truck to left on every speed bump I came across.

87 K5, 427/340hp BBC,4.56 D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM rear disc's,

4. 87superblaze

87superblaze 1/2 ton status

I agree with everyone else. It could also be an alignment issue. Does it pull to either side under normal use? I just swapped axles on my truck and I had to do a "rough" alignment. I know its not aligned correctly. It will pull to the side when I go over bumps and when I brake. One tire just grabs harder that the other one.

Just something else to think about.

My Truck <a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/nicksm79>http://www.community.webshots.com/user/nicksm79</a>

5. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

check your tire pressures . inspect your brakes , a caliper could be sticking .

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292257869&show_all=1&start=1>wheeling and carnage pics</a>

6. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

This wouldn't explain the bumps, but my truck is pulling left every time I brake and I found out the proportioning valve is bad. There's a button on it you can press to reset it. Once I press it, it works good for a few stops then goes bad again. I doubt it's really your problem, but it's another possibility.

7. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

First of all, did you put on a raised steering arm or some other part to correct your drag link angle. If not, the pull when hitting bumps is most likely caused by that. I also agree with the sticking caliper possiblity since you said it does it when you hit the brakes. Tire pressures, differences in tire size or make from side to side, or a tire with a lot of lateral runout could cause a pull.
    Edit: I didnt realize you hadnt put the lift on yet, so disregard the part about the steering arm.
    82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by BlueBlazer62 on 02/24/02 04:07 PM.</FONT></P>

8. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

When it hits the bumps, it turns the front tires, if you let go of the steering wheel while hitting the bumps, it will turn the wheel to the right. The truck has a steering stabilizer on it from the factory. Could that go bad and cause this problem?

1984 K5 Blazer w/ 33" BFG All Terrains, 305, auto, no lift. 4" lift and 350 coming soon.

9. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Are you sure your vehicle doesnt have any lift on it right now. You said its got 33s with no lift, is it possible it had a small lift on it when you bought it. Look at the drag link when its on level ground, does it sit almost exactly horizontal. If it does, then its probably not the culprit. Your stabilizer could be bad, but thats more to dampen the bumpsteer, but it wont always get rid of it. Take off one of its mounting bolts and work it back and forth and see if its operable still. Also, jack up the front of the truck and see if the wheels spin freely, then apply the brakes and make sure they still spin OK. While you got it up check all the front end parts for looseness. This could be caused by all sorts of things, so youre really gonna have to do the detective work yourself, all we can do is give you things to look for.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

How are your shocks? A bad shock will cause the problems you are having..Be sure to check all your shocks...Not just the front. A bad shock on the rear can also cause pulling to the right or left.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins