Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulling to right

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fireinthehole, Jun 17, 2002.

When I apply the brakes on my Sub, it pulls to the right. The pads were replaced at all 4 point last November, and I put the braided lines on in January. Brakes were bled after the new lines were installed. It started about a month or so ago. Could it be my caliper is crapping out?
    Thanks

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like a caliper not participating. If it's pulling right check the drivers side caliper. I would pull out the caliper bolts and clean and lube them before anything else. If the caliper can't slide on those bolts you will get very little braking at that corner.

Rene

2. Whats the recommended lube for the caliper bolts?

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I would use anti-seize.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I used 'Never-Seize' on mine too...

Rene

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If it was a 1st Gen Blazer I'd know just what to say....BTDT

Remove that "limiting plate" thingie behind the shackle on the driver's side....

6. ??? What limiting plate thingie??? This is on a 90 Suburban.
    The Army confuses me enough...

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

FITH,

It's a 1st-Gen thing.....you wouldn't understand! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Seriously, on the 1st gens, there was this little angled plate on the drivers side frame that kept the shackle from rotating too far back. Basically a crude mechanical stopper....

The problem was that with lift springs, there is more movement and under compression (like braking) and the springs hit that stopper. At that point, only the passenger side springs are compressing, and the truck starts violently turning to the right!

I thought I had a sticking caliper until I figured out what was going on and removed that plate.....problem solved.....FOR FREE! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. k5_beater

k5_beater Registered Member

i had the same problem but my tire pressure was low on front right tire. it pulled to the right a little going down the road but when i stopped the weight of the truck went forward to make it pull to the right even more.