Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulling to the right on semi-hard braking - ideas needed? PROBLEM SOLVED...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbinOR, Apr 20, 2003.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Before I dig into things again, here's what is new - all 4 ball joints, axle u-joints, bearings and seals, locking hubs. Tie rod is DEFINITELY toast, waiting on a local version Rock Rod to be done. Put extended brake lines on a few weeks ago but not sure if the symptom started then or more recently.

Symptom - goes down the road relatively straight on it's own with no hands on the wheel - put on the brake and it wants to pull to the right immediately. Under hard (panic) stopping it pulls HARD to the right.

Thoughts? Brakes seem to be the next option since all other front end parts are brand new. Could a toasted tie rod give this symptom? Don't think so but want input.

PS - this all on a 91 3/4T Burb with new 6" TC lift , ORD sway bar disconnects/extended shackles, 35" X Terrains.

Thanks............ /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

<font color="blue">PROBLEM SOLVED - IT WAS THE LEFT CALIPER SEMI-FROZEN. PUT A SET OF REBUILT CALIPERS ON IT, NEW ROTORS (ORIGINALS WITH 160k WERE TOO THIN), PADS AND PULLS DOWN HARD STRAIGHT AS AN ARROW. THANKS FOR THE HELP! </font>

2. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Re: Pulling to the right on semi-hard braking - ideas needed?

Mine does the same thing frank...allthough it will have to wait until later in the week as my new TH475 and resealed NP241 are going in tomorrow...

Turn the rotors....install new gm pads and replace the calipers...one of the pistons is sticking...

DW /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. VERBAL KINT

VERBAL KINT Registered Member

You may want to check the drums and the perportioning valve also .

4. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem and had a bad tie rod changed and it still does it, not as bad but still there. I'm thinking that either a good brake job with turned rotors or a power bleeding of the brakes will cure mine.

5. BigDummy89K5

BigDummy89K5 Registered Member Author

There may be some air in your front left line, since you just replaced brake lines.

6. naranja72

naranja72 1/2 ton status

I remember reading a post a while ago about a reinforcing brace on one of the front shackles limiting the spring travel under hard braking. This had caused the truck to pull to one side as the front springs won't compress equally under the hard braking. I tried to do a search but I wasn't able to find anything, maybe this will jog someone's memory. Good luck, as this braking problems can get very annoying trying to trace them. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

My bet is on a siezed caliper/ or something with the brake system. If its pulling to the right, your left caliper could be siezing. I'd check that out.. pretty cheap too.

8. VERBAL KINT

VERBAL KINT Registered Member

And does anyone have any thoughts on , "If its not the calipers" cause I'd like too hear that one. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

i had a similar problem with my truck pulling to the left on hard braking, the problem was that the rear drums simply needed to be adjusted, the left one was braking harder(sooner) than the right one.

10. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I am more inclined to believe this to be the culprit rather than much else... Since rebuilding my front axle and putting on new brake lines (stainless) my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif pulled to the right under hard braking too... I actually turned sideways on the freeway at about 50 during a rain storm, talk about APF.

Anyway, I replaced the brakes yesterday and checked my left caliper and it wasnt freezing, slow, excessively dirty, leaking, etc... so I pushed it all the way out and back in before putting on the brakes. Still does it...

So, since it didnt appear to be front brakes, next chance I get, rear brakes here I come.

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

if you got brake fluid or grease or even oil on the pads, it will cause them to grab causing the truck to pull. usually you can tell when you pull the pad off it looks wet.

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Thanks Doug...........would you tend to think left front sticking? Seems ONE is pulling down hard and the other is wimping out......why is the question? I'm gonna bleed them first, see if that helps anything, worse that will cost me is some fresh brake fluid.

Any more ideas, keep em coming folks............thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

what have you done for steering corection? My '73 with 6" procomp springs and just a raised arm on the axle. It pulled bad under braking. Put a drop pitmin arm on the box and lost most of it.

14. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Well...a piston rides in the bore and makes a wear pattern in that spot...and sooner or later they tend to stick...especially if the outer dust seal has been damaged...there is one other posability but its remote and usually only seen on FWD cars with coil springs....i've seen a weak spring allow one side of the car to dip under braking...believe it or not....

Let me know if the bleeding works as it definately is a possability....but somehow my spider sense's say otherwise...lol.

THM475 is in the burba s of tonight...ran into a snag...early vs. late output shaft length...nothing a good die grinder can't cure...

DW /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

15. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

My '87 K5 does the same thing (pulls hard right on braking). Stock suspension all around; it actually sits kinda low 'cause the springs are shot (about 1" away from the bumpstops F &amp; R). Mine is definitely caused by the brakes; I get heavy brakedust on the RF wheel, but very little on the LF wheel. Not sure of the cause yet, but I'll be flushing and powerbleeding the whole system soon. I'll let everyone know what I come up with.

16. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

Sounds like classic bump steer to me (front springs compressing as you brake).

Mine used to pull to the right in a horrible way right up until the moment I installed my ORD crossover... now it pulls slightly (very slightly) to the left during hard braking.

17. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

After the tires were back on and while it was still up on stands I checked the brakes to see if one was sticking, they didn't appear to be. the rotors should have been turned when the new pads were instaled, but they did not look to be the cause of the pulling.
    It dosn't appear to be the rear brakes as under a hard brake application you had better have a grip on the wheel or it will rip it right out from under ya.
    Have ya checked the air pressure in the front tires to see if they are the same? that can cause some funky stuff sometimes.

18. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Problem solved.........info above if anyone else needs help. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif