Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pulling top off

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88bblazen, Mar 23, 2004.

1. 88bblazen

88bblazen Registered Member

i have a 88 blazer and have had for two years and haven't taken the top off yet. woul i have to buy a new seal if i pulled off the top

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

nope. the seal is just like a door seal.

welcome to ck5 /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It really depends on if the top has ever been taken before. The top had been taken off once before on my 84(about 12 years ago) but when I took it off for the first time(5 years ago) it ripped the poo outta the seal. So, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

when my dad bought his 85, it looked like the top was never taken off. (no marks on the bolts, 3 bolts total were rusted to the nuts on the back side) that was the first thing i did /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif the seals were and still are good /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

New seal at Pep Boys: $31.00
    Line-X for the floor: $100.00
    Sun on your back: PRICELESS /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

spray some wd40 around the seal before you yank it...might save you some $ if its stuck

i had to cut 3 bolts to get my top off for the first time...it didnt tear the seal, but it pulled it off the metal, i had to tuck it back and put some adhesive behind it
    but other than that its fine

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Oh yeah, don't forget to take out the two "security bolts" under the bedrail, towards the back. Their Torx, but I forgot the number.... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Those little safety screws blazerguy mentioned are kinda hidden inside the rear panel. If you forget about them it becomes a real pain. I don't know why or when they started that safety screw crap but it makes no sense to me.

9. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

How much do they weigh? I'll be poppin mine off here pretty soon for the first time as well.
    Brett

10. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I would think around 200 lbs, ask a friend to help you take it off, it is a two man job unless you don't care about your top, in that case just unscrew it and step on the gas. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I think the official verdict was ~180 pounds. It's really not heavy at all with two people. I can get it off myself without screwing anything up.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif